RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > ICOM Receivers

ICOM Receivers - A forum for the discussion of all ICOM scanning radios and receivers. Please use another appropriate forum for transceivers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2017, 10:29 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Clone R5 to R6?

Good morning!

Does anyone know if it's possible to clone the contents of an Icom IC-R5 to the IC-R6?

I've got a new R6 on the way from HRO, and I'd like to save myself some time and keystrokes. They didn't have the Icom cloning cable in stock, but I believe I can use an old mini-plug to mini-plug cable I happen to have. By the way, I believe this would require a mono- to mono-plug type of cable, not a stereo cable . . . is that correct?

Thanks!

-Johnnie
Sponsored links
Old 04-13-2017, 5:19 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

I assume that you have already up- and down-loaded the contents of the R5 a few times and have a file in you computer of the data. The instruction booklet on the R6 will tell you what plug is required and if it's the same plug as the R5, then try it and if it works you have something for nothing - winner.

I made an interface for my Yaesu VX-2 which works well with some downloaded software. I compared my interface with the one for an Icom R7000 and they are close enough - added a different connector and yippee it works!
Old 04-13-2017, 10:04 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoco View Post
I assume that you have already up- and down-loaded the contents of the R5 a few times and have a file in you computer of the data. The instruction booklet on the R6 will tell you what plug is required and if it's the same plug as the R5, then try it and if it works you have something for nothing - winner.

I made an interface for my Yaesu VX-2 which works well with some downloaded software. I compared my interface with the one for an Icom R7000 and they are close enough - added a different connector and yippee it works!
Thanks for the reply, majoco.

I called the Icom tech support people, and they told me the two radios couldn't be cloned because "the software fields are different." The R6 arrived yesterday, so I just went ahead and programmed it manually . . . not an easy task with Icom radios. Thankfully, the R6 operating system is similar to the R5, so I didn't have go through another learning adventure.

Thanks again!

-Johnnie
Old 04-13-2017, 1:12 PM

It's too late now but you may have tried:

1.) exporting the frequencies to a file with your old software

2.) with new software for the R6 import the old frequencies into the new software and upload it.
Old 04-14-2017, 3:27 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Quote:
"the software fields are different."
That's something I've overcome with a couple of databases - examine the data with a text editor or Excel
and see if you can re-arrange the columns taking care with commas and tabs as they are often used as fillers or blanks. What have you got to lose?
Old 04-15-2017, 7:54 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by compuscan View Post
It's too late now but you may have tried:

1.) exporting the frequencies to a file with your old software

2.) with new software for the R6 import the old frequencies into the new software and upload it.
Great suggestions. Unfortunately, I never purchased software for the R5.

Thanks!
Old 04-15-2017, 7:56 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoco View Post
That's something I've overcome with a couple of databases - examine the data with a text editor or Excel
and see if you can re-arrange the columns taking care with commas and tabs as they are often used as fillers or blanks. What have you got to lose?
Too late now, but thanks for the tips, majoco!