ICOM PCR-1000 rs232 on WIN 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnBrubaker

Just dug out the old PCR-1000 and thinking of hooking it up. Problem is I no longer have a computer with RS-232 ports ;(
I am running a newish Dell i5 and a Costume Sabertooth 990FX Gen 3 2.0 machine both with Windows 10.
Will the PCR work with a PCI expansion card with RS232 and if so will it work with PCI 3.0 or do I need a PCI 2.0?
I've seen a lot about adapting a USB port but that seems a bit complicated and subject to driver failure.
Anyone here running a set up with an expansion RS232 have any advice?

JohnBrubaker

UPDATE: Amazingly it worked. I installed a StarTech 1 port PCI expansion card on the machine and out of the box it worked 10/10. Even more amazingly my PCR-1000 still works after all these years.

gbriden

I have an Icom IC-1500 I still use regularly on HF it still pulls great on a 100 foot long wire keeps up with my SDRplay-2 just fine.

N4WRW

No connection to radio

I have the 1000 and the Prolific serial port to USB adapter cable. All ports not working and message comes up that cant communicate with radio. How do I set the computer so it will not automatically change the driver. The old one prolific driver is the one I want. 3.3.2.102 but win 10 automatically updates the driver and I want to turn that off. Any help would be appreciated. I love my old 1000 but cant get it to communicate with my newer Dell Win 10 machine thru USB

weeksben1

I"ve also got a PCR-1500 on Windows 10 (with the fall creator's update). There are ways to disable automatic driver updates for specific devices. If you're comfortable working with BOTH windows device manager and the Windows Group Policy editor, here's a link from howtogeek.com to help, (https://www.howtogeek.com/263851/how-to-prevent-windows-from-automatically-updating-specific-drivers.) Otherwise, I've usually just gone into device manager and manually updated the driver(s) for the devices.

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
My bought off Ebay PCR-1000 died from (my guess) all the heat. I'm debating if I should just sell the corpse or fix it. Not that I can use it anyway, my new place is RFI hell. Amazingly bad. Probably going to sell off most of my HF stuff.

vince48

Premium Subscriber
I second that "RFI Hell" my new place is the same. from 160 to 10 meters, very poor. May foruce me to sell much of my pride HF equipment

PACNWDude

Used to use an Icom PCR-1000 a lot, but boxed it up when the computer that ran it broke. May ave to dig it out again. Thank you for sharing the info on what currently works.

Was a great unit and made for an excellent display for people to watch and listen to. Even had the Palm device software at one point.

theoldcop

Premium Subscriber
Don’t know if this is going to affect anyone else but thought I would post it just in case:
I have an R2500 that I love. I use it quite often. Subsequently I purchased an AOR DV1. This sounds crazy, but they use the same driver! I cannot run them both at the same time. Additionally, I have to keep reassigning ports when I swap the radio I’m using.
Just a heads up.

Status
Not open for further replies.