Purchased Demo IC-R8500 - What is this clicking

Status
Not open for further replies.

michy

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone have an idea what this clicking noises are on this IC-R8500? We just purchased it a week ago and just received it today, and while trying it out, it started clicking within 20 min or so and continuously clicks.

https://youtu.be/5pww42-iIgM

It almost sounds like a relay.

Last edited:

michy

Premium Subscriber
I think its related to the voice squelch (VSC)... when I turned it off.. no more clicking.

michy

Premium Subscriber
Thanks :) I'm just watching some youtube videos that go over the features.

I just have some antenna's low down, and not the proper ones yet, so I'm limited as to what I can pick up.

We'll be hoppin' on the roof soon to put up a long wire antenna and a diamond DJ300N (I think it is).

btw, I hopefully can ask some question here, we'll have lots. Hopefully won't wear down anyone's patience.

theoldcop

Premium Subscriber
Congratulations Michy! I consider this receiver to be “legendary” and I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine. If I could offer one caveat it would be this; understand that the 8500 is a receiver, not a scanner. As such, you’re not going to get the scanning speed you would from a scanner, however the 8500 is just about bullet-proof in regards to front end overload and intermod and covers DC to daylight!
Best of luck.

ridgescan

Thanks :) I'm just watching some youtube videos that go over the features.

I just have some antenna's low down, and not the proper ones yet, so I'm limited as to what I can pick up.

We'll be hoppin' on the roof soon to put up a long wire antenna and a diamond DJ300N (I think it is).

btw, I hopefully can ask some question here, we'll have lots. Hopefully won't wear down anyone's patience.
Ask away-we have some smart folks here. The scanner antenna is a D130J-N. I have a D130J myself but not with the N-connection.

Ubbe

I beleive it also will go clickety-clack if you let it scan between different frequency bands. It's not suitable to scan, only manual tune.

/Ubbe

dkf435

There is a record relay, cannot remember if the 8500 lets turn it off.

There are also band relays between HF, VHF, UHF, 800 and 1GHz so grouping by frequency when doing memory scan will help cut down on the relays clicking. The R7100 and so does the R7000 but it must be manually switched to go above 1000MHz

David

Status
Not open for further replies.