R8600 Not Recognizing VHF/UHF Antenna on Ant. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

OCWeather

Premium Subscriber
Hi All,
I've been using a loop antenna on Ant 1 which is working fine except when I go above 30 mhz, of course, the receiver shows no antenna available. Today, I plugged in a tri-band antenna (6 mtrs, 2 mtrs & 70 cm) into Ant 1 and the receiver still shows no antenna available. By "not available" I mean "Ant" is grayed out on the menu. It's just not seeing the antenna. All connections are good. I'm using a PL259 plugged into an N-type adapter since that's what Ant 1 uses. Brand new antenna. Am I missing something? I've done a full reset. No luck. All tips welcome. Thanks!

OCWeather

Premium Subscriber
n2pqq - Thanks for the response!

I did read those sections in the manual about antenna selection before I posted here and understand which antenna inputs are used for various frequencies.

So, if I understand correctly, it is normal that when I tune to frequencies above 30mhz there is an audible click and ANT 1, 2, or 3 will NOT be displayed on the screen, I am to just accept that ANT 1 is active.

I was confused because the antenna in use is NOT displayed when above 30mhz.

Thanks again.

n2pqq

Premium Subscriber
The settings I use above 30 mhz are :

Preamp on
NR off
Ref 8+

I find this lets me see the signals much better.

I still refer to the manual on a regular basis LOL .

Last edited:

OCWeather

Premium Subscriber
n2pqq - Roger on the manual. Thanks for the settings. I haven't tried the higher frequencies on the R8600 and I'm anxious to give it a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.