Icom IC-R8600 or a IC-R9500 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sub101uk

I am looking at buying a Icom IC-R8600 or a IC-R9500 ? However from reading the spec of both scanners the IC-R8600 can decode P25 (Phase 1), NXDN, dPMR, D-STAR, Japanese DCR (Digital Convenience Radio) , The IC-R9500 covers only P25 mode with the extra optional UT-122.) Fitted I was wondering which receiver is the better for decoding Digital transmission . As we all know both of these scanners are expensive but the IC-R9500 seems to cover less than the IC-R8600 but its about 4 times the price . So what best for decoding Digital transmission.

prcguy

Bench testing both radios shows the R8600 is significantly better than the R9500 in important close spaced dynamic range and reciprocal mixing measurements in the VHF/UHF area. HF performance on the R8600 is described as state of the art.

The only thing I see missing on the R8600 is the built in ability to decode DMR transmissions, but that can supposedly be done with a USB connection to a computer and running free software. I have not tried this yet.
prcguy

I am looking at buying a Icom IC-R8600 or a IC-R9500 ? However from reading the spec of both scanners the IC-R8600 can decode P25 (Phase 1), NXDN, dPMR, D-STAR, Japanese DCR (Digital Convenience Radio) , The IC-R9500 covers only P25 mode with the extra optional UT-122.) Fitted I was wondering which receiver is the better for decoding Digital transmission . As we all know both of these scanners are expensive but the IC-R9500 seems to cover less than the IC-R8600 but its about 4 times the price . So what best for decoding Digital transmission.

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

The R9500 is an older design and the firmware has not been upgraded in a couple of years. I am surprised at the R9500 features that were rolled into the R8600. The new R8600 features on top of it strongly points to the R8600 being the better deal for the money.

I am involved in the Listening Lounge at the Winter SWLFest in March. I am planning on bringing my R8600 to setup. Another person has brought a R9500, so I hope to get a chance to compare the two.

73 Eric

sub101uk

Many thanks for your replys over here in England I have used a scanner for many years but been away from it for a few years only to find that I can no listen to most of the transmissions have changed over to being Digital . Yes I had a feeling that the R9500 was old since you require a UT-122 digital unit for P25 transmissions were as the R8600 can decode P25 (Phase 1), NXDN, dPMR, D-STAR, Japanese DCR (Digital Convenience Radio) I was looking just at VHF and UHF and not HF as I already have a IC-7800 but I understand you can use a done with a USB connection to a computer from looking at the internet there seems to be a few companys doing software and interfaces to be used with a scanner .

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
Many thanks for your replys over here in England I have used a scanner for many years but been away from it for a few years only to find that I can no listen to most of the transmissions have changed over to being Digital . Yes I had a feeling that the R9500 was old since you require a UT-122 digital unit for P25 transmissions were as the R8600 can decode P25 (Phase 1), NXDN, dPMR, D-STAR, Japanese DCR (Digital Convenience Radio) I was looking just at VHF and UHF and not HF as I already have a IC-7800 but I understand you can use a done with a USB connection to a computer from looking at the internet there seems to be a few companys doing software and interfaces to be used with a scanner .

So, we are assuming you aren’t monitoring any trunked systems?

sub101uk

Many thanks for your reply but I have been away from radio for over 22 years so I have no idea what a trunk system is ? But over 22 years ago in the UK every thing was analogue most of the public services were on 450 - 466 Mcs and mobile phones were on about 900 Mcs this was on a Icom 7000 but these days every thing seems to have gone digital . It would seem I have allot to catch up on .

VK3RX

Thaumaturge
Premium Subscriber
Firmware for the R9500 hasn't been updated since 2007.

While it is a great receiver, over the years Icom haven't seemed to be motivated to provide any updates to features, despite requests. A business case thing I guess.

While the R8500 can receive more modes, bear in mind that it and the R9500 are communications receivers, not scanners. That is, they can scan individual channels, but unlike modern scanners, they don't have the means of tracking trunked networks.

kjfswkr

Big difference in price!

Kevin

sub101uk

Many Thanks for the feed back it looks like its going to be a IC-8600 then and just buy a USB plug job for the other modes . Over in the UK they released a firmware update 01/01/2018 (Version 1.00) for the IC-R8600 SDR It would seem that there are 2 versions over in the US the IC-8600 the normal and the IC-8600-4 GOVT unblocked version I can only assume this is to stop people from cell phones ? Not sure what version is available in the UK .
Many thanks for all your replys and your right about the price for the IC-R9500 but like you say its very old.
Brian
G4ZEK

prc117f

I am surprised those IC-9500 are still working with those hot components (CRT associated flyback transfromer)

I would definitely swap the 9500 with a 8600. I would not worry about chasing down an unblocked version since there is nothing of interested in the cell frequencies

I would not buy a IC-R9500 at todays used prices. between the two, 8600 hands down.

Status
Not open for further replies.