RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Scanners, Receivers and Related Equipment Forums > ICOM Receivers

ICOM Receivers - A forum for the discussion of all ICOM scanning radios and receivers. Please use another appropriate forum for transceivers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-22-2018, 2:46 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by devicelab View Post
If this doesn't have NXDN out of the box then ICOM should be ashamed -- and buyers should return the scanner until it does.... IMHO.
As stated above NXDN supported if does not come with it out of the box then so be it. They have nothing to be ashamed of. If buyers want to return it they have that option.
Old 05-22-2018, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mule1075 View Post
Exactly support for NXDN which one could assume it might not be available from the get go.
Never ***-U-ME anything...
Old 05-22-2018, 3:17 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default In Stock

The Ham Radio Outlet's website indicates that they have them in stock in Anaheim, CA, Atlanta, GA, Salem, NH, Woodbridge, VA, Oakland, CA and Milwaukee, WI with low stock in San Diego, CA. If anyone gets one please post an image of it in your hand. I would like to get an idea of the size.
Old 05-22-2018, 4:03 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Here it is side by side with a Uniden 436HP...
Attached Images

TX: Kenwood TH-D74, ICOM ID-51A & BTech UV-5X3
Old 05-22-2018, 4:44 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I bought the R30 today and in the mode menus it has NXDN-VN and NXDN-N.
Sponsored links
Old 05-22-2018, 5:02 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

San Diego HRO had 2 R30's until this morning
Attached Images

Old 05-22-2018, 8:47 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Thanks

Thanks for the pics. I like the size, might have to get one.
Old 05-22-2018, 8:55 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Bought the IC-R30 yesterday from HRO Anaheim. Said I would wait, but pulled the trigger. Just exploring the features of the radio. Hooked up to a 15 foot wire and my AOR LA-400 loop, does really well on MW and SW. Listening to lot of Asian DX on CW on 40 last night with the loop inside my house next to window. Air band quite sensitive. P25 quality on LAPD channels pretty good. I do see the NXDN in menu but so far unable to hear any of the LA Metro system. WIll do more testing in next few days.
A nice feature is the 3 steps of attenuation, which really helps to prevent AM and FM overload, allowing for better reception of AM/FM DX signals with radio. Also tried out the Bluetooth during a walk and worked very well. Not enough experience yet to know if Bluetooth affecting any VHF/UHF sensitivity. Waiting for some software to program the radio.
My first impressions are that this is a better radio than the IC-R20, which I have two, and which are themselves quite good as all-band handhelds.
Old 05-23-2018, 7:58 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thank you for this Steve. Iíve had I a few R20ís. Loved them but always sold them to move on to something else. Itís a disease.
Iím thrilled to see that Icom has decided to move away from the whacky, proprietary recording format in favor of .wav file. I know there was a work around for the R20, but it was cumbersome at best.
Have you made any recordings?
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshermanmd View Post
Bought the IC-R30 yesterday from HRO Anaheim. Said I would wait, but pulled the trigger. Just exploring the features of the radio. Hooked up to a 15 foot wire and my AOR LA-400 loop, does really well on MW and SW. Listening to lot of Asian DX on CW on 40 last night with the loop inside my house next to window. Air band quite sensitive. P25 quality on LAPD channels pretty good. I do see the NXDN in menu but so far unable to hear any of the LA Metro system. WIll do more testing in next few days.
A nice feature is the 3 steps of attenuation, which really helps to prevent AM and FM overload, allowing for better reception of AM/FM DX signals with radio. Also tried out the Bluetooth during a walk and worked very well. Not enough experience yet to know if Bluetooth affecting any VHF/UHF sensitivity. Waiting for some software to program the radio.
My first impressions are that this is a better radio than the IC-R20, which I have two, and which are themselves quite good as all-band handhelds.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:19 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I do not have radio but see there is a firmware update available.

https://www.icom.co.jp/world/support..._04/index.html
Old 05-24-2018, 10:26 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshermanmd View Post
On my Icom R8600 when listening to NXDN
I use NXDN-N and not nxdn-vn

It works perfect that way.
Old 05-24-2018, 2:29 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Performance?

Now that some of you have the radio, what do you think of its performance? I know sshermanmd reported that it receives well on MW and CW but how is the scan speed for vhf/uhf frequencies? (i.e. can it replace one of my other scanners?) How is it on the broadcast bands? The air band? How is battery life? I have an Alinco DJ-X2000 that is a great radio in many respects but it cannot receive anything digital so I need a replacement.
Old 05-24-2018, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2pqq View Post
On my Icom R8600 when listening to NXDN
I use NXDN-N and not nxdn-vn

It works perfect that way.
Can anyone confirm NXDN-N is Narrow i.e. decodes NXDN9600 12.5khz BW, and -VN is very narrow i.e. NXDN4800 6.25khz BW please?
Old 05-27-2018, 4:29 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

There seems to be a lot of NXDN drama on RR. Seriously? You guys seem to think that NXDN is going to take over the world! Take a deep breath...there you go.

Uniden BCD436HP
Icom 91AD 2m/70cm HT w/D-STAR
Old 05-27-2018, 11:40 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I don't think I have a NXDN system in the San Diego area to monitor.
Old 05-28-2018, 1:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob View Post
I don't think I have a NXDN system in the San Diego area to monitor.
I'm willing to bet you do.
Old 05-28-2018, 2:15 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Been using new IC-R30 this weekend. Good VHF/UHF sensitivity and P25 LAPD good. Been trying to monitor LA Metro Red, Blue, Gold, and Green Line NXDN. My 436 and 536HP picking up these NXDN channels fine. However, have not heard one NXDN channel on R30. Been trying NXDN-N and NXDN-VN without a peep. Have stations entered in memory with proper RAN codes for each, but nothing. Will keep on trying.
Old 05-29-2018, 6:50 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Dr Steve,

Were did you buy the IC-R30? I have paid for one throuh gigaparts, but it hasn't shipped yet. According to the advertisement it could ship as early as this week or 2 more weeks.
Old 05-29-2018, 8:50 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Universal Radio said all of there orders would be shipped by the 25th, but Iíve not received any notification yet. Holiday weekend may have delayed things, but not my impatience!😉

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_Factor View Post
Dr Steve,

Were did you buy the IC-R30? I have paid for one throuh gigaparts, but it hasn't shipped yet. According to the advertisement it could ship as early as this week or 2 more weeks.
Old 05-29-2018, 10:16 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thanks Brother. I missed it in the thread.