IC-R30 release date

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka1njl

Can it compete?

I was about to write this one off because it has been so long since it was announced and there has been no word whatsoever about its capabilities. I'll be curious to see what it can do if it ever materializes but in the time since it was announced Uniden and AOR have promised some impressive radios. This is an exciting time to be a radio enthusiast.

billybob

Premium Subscriber
Icon R30

User manual. It needs to be translated

http://www.icom.co.jp/support/download/manual/MnaDwnNew1.php?SWT=&ID=20180329004&GNR=%83A%83}%83`%83%85%83A%96%B3%90%FC%8B@%8A%ED&CAT=%8E%F3%90M%8B@&TYPE=%8Cg%91%D1%8B@&PDNM=IC-R30&INQWORDSWT=No&INQWORD=&FLG1=

Last edited:

Air490

I was about to write this one off because it has been so long since it was announced and there has been no word whatsoever about its capabilities. I'll be curious to see what it can do if it ever materializes but in the time since it was announced Uniden and AOR have promised some impressive radios. This is an exciting time to be a radio enthusiast.

Built-in GPS, dualwatch, and Bluetooth are all features lacking from AOR and Uniden receivers

And I'm going to guess at a US release date of October/November

ka1njl

Nice features

I agree that those are all useful features. Personally I wish all radios came with Bluetooth. I see that as a huge advantage and the Icom also promises a much wider frequency range. Like I said, it's a good time to be a radio enthusiast.

Forly192

I usually like ICOM's products, but I was never really impressed with their handheld receivers.

The specs on this IC-R30, at least in analog mode, leave much to be desired. Both sensitivity and selectivity are lacking. It seems that instead of actually using current technology to be innovative, ICOM simply added a few token digital modes (APCO Phase I), threw in analog reception on par with the old IC-R20 (Which has a sub-par front end that tends to easily overload) and called it a day.

At about $800, it's way overpriced in my opinion.

billybob

Premium Subscriber
I have a few P25 conventional frequencies that I like listening to in my area. Plus the duel watch feature is awesome and a must have for me.

billybob

Premium Subscriber
I saw a video on you tube with what appears to be the IC R30. The IC R30 was on a airport ATIS frequency. The antenna was swapped out to 2 other ICOM radios showing the signal strength and audio quality. It appears the IC R30 did not perform too well.The audio sounded like my IC R20. I hope this radio will perform better when released.

billybob

Premium Subscriber
And yet another video poped up on YouTube of the R30. This time audio was exelent. It looked like a recorded aviation audio.

billybob

Premium Subscriber
I wish he would have had the volume up enuff to hear the audio. It's a cool looking radio though.

hardsuit

Vrigo Super Cluster, Milky Way Galaxy, Sagatarious
Scanner diffrent from Communication Receivers.

newinfo - ICOM has full specs of IC-R3OA on the Japanese website in English. now a reply to " Can it compete " Communication Receivers are different from scanners. Radios like the ICOM IC-R30A and the AOR DV-10 offer continuous coverage (minus cellular) where as scanner like the Uniden SDS100 and Whistler scanners have limited frequency ranges they operate. this is to save money. Radios like the ICOM and AOR also receive more Modes of Demodulation. they are geared for receiving Amatuer radio transmission modes and while they do Digital modes now, they don't have the Ability to follow Analog or Digital trunking. the ICOM and AOR radios can receive Digital simplex . but Uniden and Whistler scanners cannot Demodulate AM broadcast,CW, SSB and some Amatuer digital modes. also, Scanners usually have VERY limited steps for tuning and do NOT use filtering of audio like Communication Receivers can.

billybob

Premium Subscriber
I'm seriously looking at purchasing both the ICOM and the AOR. If the Uniden SDR100 turns out to be a good radio, I may get that too.

Status
Not open for further replies.