ICOM R30 or AOR DV10 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
Looking at both of these receivers I'm now leaning towards the ICOM R30. The keyboard layout is more user friendly, having dedicated keys - SCAN,SKIP,MODE, ATT & VFO - plus a 4 way directional pad .

Both GPS and Bluetooth, Dual recording and insane scanning speeds of 200 channels a second in A band and 150 channels per second in B band.

One negative is that it only offers 8 characters per channel.

W2GLD

Premium Subscriber
Last edited:

dsankir

t s like a big bang question!
Nikon or Canon

Barca or Real

:)

Got mine DV-10 and feel good [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AOR-262

@W2GLD

This chart is not completely accurate to the specs of the R30 receiver; perhaps you should verify the details against ICOM's product sheet for the R30 again...

https://www.icom.co.jp/world/products/receiver/handheld/ic-r30/

Ok, I'll have a meticulous look at the details between the AOR DV-10 and the Icom IC-R30 and email AOR and/or Icom the inaccuracies.

The receiving modes the DV-10 and IC-R30 are capable of are from the comparision sheet complied by AOR.

User TUMEGPC mentioned only physical characteristics in favor of the IC-R30. I thought it useful to remind him of the different receiving modes between each receiver.

AOR-262

@DSANKIR

I emailed AOR asking if they had sourced out a company to make a leather case for the DV-10 -- well, no reply to that email. Looking at all the acessories supplied in-box with the DV-10 it's such a shame they haven't included -- even if it's an optional paid extra -- a leather case. Maybe the case for the Yaesu FT-750 will be a perfect fit?

AlphaFive

Antenna

Looking at a photograph of the ICOM R30. The antenna does not appear to be removable to install an SMA / BNC adapter. Does anyone know if this may be correct? Thank you

AlphaFive

sma

Thank you for that, I was searching their site, could not locate that specific piece of information. Searched Universal Radios site for the R 30. Their page did not mention a BNC adaptor being available. Normally for a similar type item, there is an accessory list for an adaptor. It had me wondering. I will spend more time on ICOM's page, thank you again, I do appreciate it.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Looks like nice radio, but like the R20, which I have, doesn't appear to have variable bandwidths for AM, SSB, CW, FM. Makes it difficult to pick up a lot of channels near strong stations that can easily be received with a Tecsun-880 or AOR8200 MKIII, where the bandwidth can be varied. Lack of DMR, which is super active in LA and Orange Counties, also a deal breaker for me. May consider the AOR DV10, and the Uniden SDS-100 already ordered.

KM4OBL

Authorized Personnel
Bandwidth Filters

Looks like nice radio, but like the R20, which I have, doesn't appear to have variable bandwidths for AM, SSB, CW, FM. Makes it difficult to pick up a lot of channels near strong stations that can easily be received with a Tecsun-880 or AOR8200 MKIII, where the bandwidth can be varied. Lack of DMR, which is super active in LA and Orange Counties, also a deal breaker for me. May consider the AOR DV10, and the Uniden SDS-100 already ordered.

I didn't think that the IC-R30 might not have variable bandwidths - I'm glad I saw your post, as I've been considering both the IC-R30 and DV-10. While the IC-R30 does have what Icom calls "variable tuning steps," the shortest tuning step it lists in the specifications is 0.01 kHz. I was assuming that in CW or ssb mode, the receiver would automatically narrow the bandwidth filter for those modes - but I am not assuming that anymore.

I'll be checking to make sure that whatever I buy has variable bandwidth filters before making a purchase sometime in the future.

Hit_Factor

I have a had an R30 for about a week now. There is not a variable bandwidth filter that I have found.

You can download the manuals (basic and advanced) from Icom. Those should help you determine what the receiver is capable of.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
There's a $500.00 price difference between receivers. Regarding voice modes received, the DV-10 is definitely the way to go if you can afford to shell out the $1100 for it. I'm on the fence about selling my DV-1 for a DV-10

KM4OBL

Authorized Personnel
I have a had an R30 for about a week now. There is not a variable bandwidth filter that I have found.

You can download the manuals (basic and advanced) from Icom. Those should help you determine what the receiver is capable of.

Thanks for the info! Still, the R30 is an amazingly capable and versatile little bundle. Enjoy using it!

CQ

I see Bearcat/Uniden are getting into the digital scanner/monitor world. Wonder how this will compare with the DV10? https://youtu.be/qcP0KsaXwzo

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

May want to look at older scanners to see when Uniden started doing digital.

The R30 and DV10 are receives, not scanners.

Wow, an unboxing video for more than an hour. :roll:

digsatman

May want to look at older scanners to see when Uniden started doing digital.

The R30 and DV10 are receives, not scanners.

Wow, an unboxing video for more than an hour. :roll:

Perhaps SDR would have been a better term to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.