Happy R30 customer

Status
Not open for further replies.

theoldcop

Premium Subscriber
Just wanted to pass this along for those who might be on the fence about purchasing the R30. I was fortunate to be in the position to purchase both the R30 and Uniden SDS100 at about the same time. I decided on both because, initially, I was considering the AOR DV-10, but decided against that as I already have the DV1. I am very happy with my decision! The R30 receives NXDN9800 much better than my SDS100. It receives P25 xmissions at the same level. I also believe the R30 receives civ. air band better than my Uniden. Don’t get me wrong, I love the Uniden for scanning and DMR reception. The display is fantastic as is its scan speed.
Both have strengths and weaknesses but I have to be honest. I was much more impressed with the performance of R30 than the difference between the Uniden 436 vs. the SDS100.
BTW - I use the stock telescoping antenna on the R30 and an SMA SRH779 Diamond antenna on the Uniden.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
I also purchased the SDS-100 and R30. I agree completely with comments above by “thecop”. NXDN much better on R30. P25 similar. Civil air and low VHF better on R30. I realize that 100 and R30 are completely different monitoring tools. I am happy with both. However, difference between my R20 and R30 more than between my 436 vs 100. The IC-R30 is a surprisingly good performer.

theoldcop

Premium Subscriber
I also purchased the SDS-100 and R30. I agree completely with comments above by “thecop”. NXDN much better on R30. P25 similar. Civil air and low VHF better on R30. I realize that 100 and R30 are completely different monitoring tools. I am happy with both. However, difference between my R20 and R30 more than between my 436 vs 100. The IC-R30 is a surprisingly good performer.

Thank you fo that Steve. Knowing my findings are very similar to yours means something coming from a man of your expertise and experience.
FWIW - I’ve emailed Icom requesting info. and a possible release date for the R30 CS-R30 software about a week ago. No answer as of yet.

billybob

Premium Subscriber
I also have the R30 and the SDS100. I was also thinking about the AOR DV10 but now I'm going to wait due to the new problem that was discovered. The R30 is a great little radio. Im a huge fan of dual watch.

Last edited:

Hit_Factor

I have both radios too. I feel the same way. The IC-R30 and SDS-100 compliment each other. They each have strengths the other receiver can't even touch.

I've been using both to discover a NXDN trunked system, I haven't got it yet, but I sure am enjoying the chase. It's a low power system and it's not in the RR DB.

flanker86

I am glad to hear that there are persons owning both scanners. Maybe you can answer me a couple of questions.
I currently own UBCD3600XLT (European BCD436HP) and BCT15X. I had Icom IC-R20 and BCD396XT. I use it about 95% for airband and military airband.

And these are my question and concerns:
IC-R30
- the IC-R20 had a deafness in 280-300 MHz region and many, interesting for me, military airband channels were in this range - does the IC-R30 have the same issue
- does IC-R30 really have a 200 channels/sec scan range in memory mode or is it only for VFO mode
- does the voice squelch work better than on the IC-R20
- the sensitivity figures are worse on paper for the IC-R30 vs SDS100/BCD436HP - can someone do some kind of comparison of real life transmission picking side by side

As for SDS100
- is it better or worse in airband/mil airband than BCD436HP in real life - on paper sensitivity is worse for SDS100
- is the scan rate considerably faster than BCD436HP
- does the battery life on SDS100 is in pair with the BCD436HP

I am looking forward for your information and opinion.

Air490

Thank you fo that Steve. Knowing my findings are very similar to yours means something coming from a man of your expertise and experience.
FWIW - I’ve emailed Icom requesting info. and a possible release date for the R30 CS-R30 software about a week ago. No answer as of yet.

I have been watching the Japanese retailers to get an idea when the accessories, including software, will be available. At the moment they are all saying the end of this month. Once the accessories are available in the Japan the rest of the world usually gets them pretty quick.

digsatman

Rather disappointed that the CS-R30 software was not included with the radio. Most people will want to transfer data somehow from other radios and the software should not be a payable optional extra,

To add insult to injury, the software does not even seem to be available yet and, even when it is, it seems it will be on CD. Are Icom in the stone-age? I can't remember when I last had to wait for a CD/DVD to get software.

billybob

Premium Subscriber
I'm not to worried about the software. I have never bought an ICOM radio that came with software. Someone on this forum said they created a Csv. file by hand program 1 frequency in the R30's memory card and then used their computer to finish programming frequencies via exel file. This was the method I used to program my radio.

rumani

IDAS dPMR Icom IC-R30?

The specifications states that it decodes conventional dPMR, in the advanced manual specifies:
- RX History screen (dPMR Tier1)
- D RX History screen (dPMR Tier2 Mode1 / Mode2)
- D RX History screen (NXDN-vn / NXDN-n)
- D RX History screen (DCR)

In my country we have:
-dPMR (446)
-NXDN
-IDAS
-IDAS dPMR

Does any of the Icom IC-R30 correspond to IDAS dPMR?

Thank you.

ZL1UOJ

R30 Volume

Can anyone who owns a R30 give a comment on the loudness of the volume.

racin06

I'm enjoying the heck out of my R30...a very impressive receiver! I'll definitely purchase the programming software when available; however, I'm quickly becoming familiar with the R30 by manually programming.

tumegpc

Premium Subscriber
Can anyone who owns a R30 give a comment on the loudness of the volume.

I'm so impress with the output of the audio. The settings are from 0-39. In the morning when all is quiet have my volume set around 12 and up it to 20 for afternoon. There is really never a need to go past 30 because the audio is so clear with hardly any distortion. I did try volume setting 35 and wow ! Again clear audio with very minimal distortion.

I can say without a doubt that the R-30 has the best audio out of any scanner or receiver I'v ever had. Adding to that I was shocked to hear how clear P25 sounds. Better than the SDS100 !

TMac20

Can you comment on the following;

How you find the navigation menu
Any use cases so far for the GPS proximity feature (and if you can narrow that to say only 2klms proximity or you have to show all in that 150 odd klm radius ?
Battery life
Screen resolution
General feel in hand/size
Dual monitoring
Recording/playback feature (have you tried this with any POCSAG)

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks in advance

N3CI

Premium Subscriber
HF useful on R30

I am about to pick up one of these radios, but wonder if it might truly become my primary travel radio for HF listening as well. I like to monitor the ham bands, mainly CW but some SSB, and wonder if this rig would be capable of decent HF coverage.

Thanks for any info. Greatly enjoy the comments posted from other RR users.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Add a few feet of wire to antenna and does very well on HF. CW reception is great. I agree with tumegpc about audio quality, which is fantastic. I was hoping this radio would be good, and its better than good, its great. Picks up distant NXDN with portable antenna that my SDS-100 doesn't know exists. P25 audio is great. Has narrow AM mode which makes MW listening and DXing far superior to IC-R20. Icom got this one right. Now just waiting for some software. CS-R30 been on HRO website for almost a month but they still have not received it.

hardsuit

Vrigo Super Cluster, Milky Way Galaxy, Sagatarious
The ICOM R-30 is a great receiver for HF - 3.3 Ghz. it should be superior in both Analog reception such as AM-FM, Air band , Marine Band and Military AIR, it should be a better receiver for Digital overall compared to Whistler and Uniden. what I like most about the R30 is you don't have to pay a Penny for Digital Reception, I don't care about Trunktracking, as I have a RS Pro-688 and It can scan Digital just fine. what I like also is the Built in GPS and Bluetooth.....come on Uniden and Whistler get with the program, GPS cable and Hockey Puck is 1990's Technology, my Smartphone has built in BT and GPS. what I miss about my R30 is there is no support for CI-V interface to use a Digital Scout from Optoeletronics. in fact All Scanners should have a CI-V interface to do exactly that.

hardsuit

Vrigo Super Cluster, Milky Way Galaxy, Sagatarious
flanker86 - the R30 should be a superior receiver for MIL AIR as its a more sensitive receiver and it has built in filters that American Scanners lack. try using a high gain on your R20 like the RS telecoping ham antenna. the R30 is 200ch in scan mode, VFO mode is for tuning or Searching. I think search is also 200 incriments a second. The R30 is a professional Communications receiver lightyears better in reception than a Whistler or Uniden , the only caviat is R30 cannot Trunktrack, but receives Digital better than my Pro-688. I would also recommend the AOR DV-10 but it seems to be having off frequency problems , otherwise the DV-10 is the Rolls Royce of Receivers - period.

Status
Not open for further replies.