R30 vs. R6 vs. 80AD

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka1njl

Interesting but...

I’d like to see this done with the same antenna on all three radios. That would make it a more “apples to apples” comparison by removing one variable. My R30 appears to be a good performer in the air band. Having said that, I haven’t done a side by side comparison but my Icom ID-51A is a remarkably good receiver in the air band.

Forly192

I used Google translate to translate the page. The person who uploaded the video wrote that he used the same outdoor antenna. I think that’s why he was connecting and disconnecting each radio.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
From the video, it looks like the R30 isn't so hot. I don't own one, but I do have an R6 and it's a phenomenal VHF/UHF airband receiver.

ka1njl

Good catch

I used Google translate to translate the page. The person who uploaded the video wrote that he used the same outdoor antenna. I think that’s why he was connecting and disconnecting each radio.

Thanks for doing that, I didn't so I drew the wrong conclusion.

cistercian

My Icom 2730A is a very hot rig on airband. My R6 is very good, but not as good. The 2730 has a decent amount of coverage for non ham fun. end of train devices are fun to monitor with it too.
I frequently listen to air on one side of the rig while using a repeater on the other side. My R8500 is hot as well.

I like Icom gear a lot. I think I will pass on the R30.

PS. My R100 still works well too.

Air490

I've watched that video a few times and I have no idea what he is doing to produce such a poor signal on the R30.
I have compared my R30, R20 and R6. At least on airband the R30 is up there with the R6. I find on weak signals or signals with a lot a noise the R30 does better than the R6.
Just my opinion.

Ubbe

You probably can't find two places where three scanner will behave exactly the same.
It depends on so much things besides the receiver itself. What signal levels you have, if you have line of sight or the signal needs to bend like a curve ball to reach you or bounce off buildings or mountains. How much background noise you have in the atmosphere, and how much the magnetic fields from ground will radiate and lots more.

Receivers tackle the different challenges in different ways and give different results. That's why no one can say and recommend to use this receiver or use that antenna because those should be the best. They could be the worst selections ever for another location.

There's a reason why there are so many different receivers and scanners to choose from and a myriad of different antennas. Because no one are the perfect choice for all locations and enviroments.

/Ubbe

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
I've watched that video a few times and I have no idea what he is doing to produce such a poor signal on the R30.
I have compared my R30, R20 and R6. At least on airband the R30 is up there with the R6. I find on weak signals or signals with a lot a noise the R30 does better than the R6.
Just my opinion.

I also have the R30, R20, and R6. I agree that the R30 does very well on airband, as good, if not better than R6. That said, the best receiver I have for weak airband is my Kenwood TM-D710GA. That really picks up some weak air and marine channels. Amazing receiver for VHF and UHF.

flanker86

I am not an owner of the IC-R30, but I had IC-R20 and currently own UBCD3600XLT. I have two questions about IC-R30

1. Can somebody estimate or make a comparison of scanning speed (for example only airband channels) of IC-R30 vs IC-R20 or Uniden BCD436HP/UBCD3600XLT? Is the IC-R30 noticeably faster?
2. Does the recorded files viewed on PC have the band and channel name present for example in album and song title as it is in UBCD3600XLT?

Status
Not open for further replies.