"16" Suffix to Model No. IC-R30 - When Did This Happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KM4OBL

Authorized Personnel
Just noticed that the IC-R30 is called the IC-R30 16 at many of the websites on which it is sold. When did Icom add the "16" at the end? I did not notice this earlier.

Was there a 15? I wonder what the suffix indicates - features added since an earlier version of the product that never made it to the public? Is Icom trying to differentiate this product from a future version with additional features that might be called "17" or "20?" Just a marketing strategy?

They've always done this kind of thing for the blocked vs. unblocked versions. No idea why those numbers were selected though.

wb4yal

Radio Hobbyist
Just noticed that the IC-R30 is called the IC-R30 16 at many of the websites on which it is sold. When did Icom add the "16" at the end? I did not notice this earlier.

Was there a 15? I wonder what the suffix indicates - features added since an earlier version of the product that never made it to the public? Is Icom trying to differentiate this product from a future version with additional features that might be called "17" or "20?" Just a marketing strategy?

Hi,

The 16 suffix means that it is cellular blocked. A 20 suffix means it is unblocked (Government/Export) model.

73, de WB4YAL

KM4OBL

Authorized Personnel
Hi,

The 16 suffix means that it is cellular blocked. A 20 suffix means it is unblocked (Government/Export) model.

73, de WB4YAL

Interesting. Thanks to all for your responses to my original post. I found it interesting to see, because I don't think the "16" was appearing on the seller websites when the product was first offered for sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.