IC R 8600 D-Star Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

MStep

Using the latest version of software (1.33). Perhaps something is not set up correctly. When monitoring a D-Star repeater in the NY area (448.1875), the 8600 does not provide a "pop-up window" similar to those in other modes. (As per Instruction Manual page 11-9, "RX Popup"). Have tried all settings (including OFF), but no pop-up window.

Also, in the "History" log of the radio's reception of digital signals, the only information showing is the Date, Time, Frequency, the fact that it is D-Star, the letters "CSQL" and a small arrow pointing to the right. No call sign or other information if displayed in this log.

Also in the recorder "Voice Player" mode, the "Caller" and "Called" fields are also blank on the screen.

Anyone else with a similar experience? Did I miss something painfully obvious in the settings? This is the only D-Star repeater I have been able to copy thus far. Could it be a repeater issue?

Thank you all in advance for your input.

Last edited:

prcguy

I just tuned in a D-Star repeater and get a pop up window with the stations callsign and a bunch of CQs, then a second window with whatever msg the sender has programmed like their name and QTH.

My history shows the various transmissions, frequency, callsigns, names, etc. Maybe the stations you are hearing have nothing programmed in their radios?

Using the latest version of software (1.33). Perhaps something is not set up correctly. When monitoring a D-Star repeater in the NY area (448.1875), the 8600 does not provide a "pop-up window" similar to those in other modes. (As per Instruction Manual page 11-9, "RX Popup"). Have tried all settings (including OFF), but no pop-up window.

Also, in the "History" log of the radio's reception of digital signals, the only information showing is the Date, Time, Frequency, the fact that it is D-Star, the letters "CSQL" and a small arrow pointing to the right. No call sign or other information if displayed in this log.

Also in the recorder "Voice Player" mode, the "Caller" and "Called" fields are also blank on the screen.

Anyone else with a similar experience? Did I miss something painfully obvious in the settings? This is the only D-Star repeater I have been able to copy thus far. Could it be a repeater issue?

Thank you all in advance for your input.

MStep

Yep, that's what I'm NOT getting. What version of the R8600 firmware are you running? Since I can only monitor one D-Star repeater thus far, not sure if it could be a repeater problem. I'm going through the manual again, but so far can't seem to find a specific setting that I might have overlooked, although that could be an issue also.

Thanks for your input-- I'll have to wait for a few more replies here before deciding the next course of action.

I just tuned in a D-Star repeater and get a pop up window with the stations callsign and a bunch of CQs, then a second window with whatever msg the sender has programmed like their name and QTH.

My history shows the various transmissions, frequency, callsigns, names, etc. Maybe the stations you are hearing have nothing programmed in their radios?

prcguy

V1.33. I think the decoding should be automatic, I didn't enable or disable anything.

Yep, that's what I'm NOT getting. What version of the R8600 firmware are you running? Since I can only monitor one D-Star repeater thus far, not sure if it could be a repeater problem. I'm going through the manual again, but so far can't seem to find a specific setting that I might have overlooked, although that could be an issue also.

Thanks for your input-- I'll have to wait for a few more replies here before deciding the next course of action.

MStep

I believe that I may have solved the issue. Apparently someone local to me has set up a hot spot with D-Star as its primary mode. Perhaps by coincidence (or maybe not), the output of the hot spot is set to an erroneous repeater output frequency as published on the New York Repeater Directory site.

So, while I thought I was monitoring a D-Star repeater, it is most likely a hot spot which has not been completely or properly set up.

I will confirm this when I can finally get to hear an actual D-Star repeater, or when I friend drops by with his D-Star portable.

Thanks to all those who did a little head-scratching for me. Over the course of the next few days, I will have some additional questions about operational instructions and information in the R8600 manual which now appears to be inaccurate, possibly because of firmware updates since the manual was printed. More to follow, but I will put that in a different thread.

KE5MC

Premium Subscriber
I don't know that radio, but do you have to know/program the CQSL into the radio somehow to get the other information.

NYC looks like a target rich environment.

Mike

P.S. Wrong mode map, that DMR. More coffee!!!
Got the correct one now.

Attachments

• NYC-Map.JPG
    NYC-Map.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.