ARC30 not seeing IC-R30 SD Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I've been trying to get ARC30 to see my R30 SD card drive but no luck.
I've followed any info or instructions I could find here or in ARC30 itself for the correct radio settings but nothing works.
ARC30 will not see the R30's SD card which does show up in Windows 7 (64 bit) as a drive with a drive letter.

ARC30 version 0.90 Build 6 (Beta) says to use SD Card Mode which I tried.
I also tried Serial Port Mode. When in SD Card Mode, Win7 does see the card in the R30 when I hook it to my computer. Win7 also sees the R30 as a serial port when the R30 is set to Serial Port Mode so the R30 drivers appear to be working fine.

When I first tried this, I'd already installed firmware 1.10 in my R30 and did an Export from the R30's menus for all three available items.
When that did not work with ARC30, I downgraded my R30 firmware back to Version 1.06 but ARC30 will still not see the SD card when connected to my computer. I then went into the R30 menus again and did more Exports of my radio for all three settings again but while running firmware 1.06. I fired up ARC30 again but it will still not see the R30 SD card.
I tried installing the card into a card reader but still it will not be seen by ARC30 for anything.

About all I can do is use ARC30's Import feature and import the CSV files made when I used the R30's Export feature. ARC30 will allow me to work with those files and I assume I could copy them back into the correct folders on the R30's SD card and Import them back in using the R30's Import menu function but I know it is not supposed to work this way.
I should be able to read and write to the R30's SD card directly from ARC30.

I'm either not seeing something that is staring me in the face or something is really broken!

Anyone have any ideas?

I think I've probably tried every possible option with the R30's Menu Options but no luck at all getting ARC30 to read (or see) the R30's SD card. It simply will not see the card at all when mounted as a drive but in the R30.
Again, Windows Explorer sees the R30's SD card just fine when I plug in the USB cable and the R30 is in SD Card Mode.

I'm stumped! Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
Gommert?

I'd love to find something that will work with this brand new R30!

ARC30 does not work.

RT Systems R30 Programmer apparently also has serious issues that have not been fixed (I did not try it as I don't want to corrupt what I have now).

Icom's CS-R30 software is Out of Stock at all places so I can't even buy it if I wished.

About the only thing I did not try was to go back to R30 Firmware 1.05 or even 1.04. I'd think ARC30 should see the SD card when the R30 is set to SD Card Mode regardless of which Firmware is on the R30 as Windows Explorer sees the SD card in the R30.

Stumped.

Thanks!

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Have you tried uninstalling the USB driver and/or installing the official Icom USB driver?

https://www.icom.co.jp/world/support/download/firm/IC-R30/usb1_00/

You should have the R30 set to Functon > USB Connect, not USB Serial Function

I am using the official Icom driver.
Is there another? If so, I'm not aware of it!

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll play with this.

edit: It does not appear to need a driver when set to SD Card Mode which is what ARC30 wants it set to.
When the R30 is set to that mode, it is basically in Mass Storage Mode like most devices would be.

Last edited:

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Have you tried uninstalling the USB driver and/or installing the official Icom USB driver?

https://www.icom.co.jp/world/support/download/firm/IC-R30/usb1_00/

You should have the R30 set to Functon > USB Connect, not USB Serial Function

Playing with the serial port driver from Icom, it did nothing.

I do see one thing that I'm not sure of.
When my R30 is in SD Card Mode and I plug in the USB cable, the R30 asks me to confirm I want to go into SD Card Mode as it will turn off all R30 functions when in that mode.
I select YES and within maybe 20 seconds, Windows 7 Autoplay starts up asking me if I want to view the contents of the R30's SD card.
I dismiss that popup as I can see the drives contents just fine and read and write to the SD card from any program except ARC30.

When I'm connected to the computer via USB, the R30's display remains displaying "Connecting with PC". I think this is just the way the R30 works but if not then it is never fully connecting with the computer as that wording never changes to "Connected" or anything other than "Connecting".

One would think it would change to Connected.

When I can see the SD card in Win Explorer, the R30's keys are all locked and do nothing at all, not even a beep when pressed.
The only thing you can do from this point is go into safely remove and select the R30's SD card drive letter and remove it before unplugging the USB cable. As soon as I remove the USB cable, the R30 goes back to normal operation and does not require a restart or anything.

Hit_Factor

Playing with the serial port driver from Icom, it did nothing.

I do see one thing that I'm not sure of.
When my R30 is in SD Card Mode and I plug in the USB cable, the R30 asks me to confirm I want to go into SD Card Mode as it will turn off all R30 functions when in that mode.
I select YES and within maybe 20 seconds, Windows 7 Autoplay starts up asking me if I want to view the contents of the R30's SD card.
I dismiss that popup as I can see the drives contents just fine and read and write to the SD card from any program except ARC30.

When I'm connected to the computer via USB, the R30's display remains displaying "Connecting with PC". I think this is just the way the R30 works but if not then it is never fully connecting with the computer as that wording never changes to "Connected" or anything other than "Connecting".

One would think it would change to Connected.

When I can see the SD card in Win Explorer, the R30's keys are all locked and do nothing at all, not even a beep when pressed.
The only thing you can do from this point is go into safely remove and select the R30's SD card drive letter and remove it before unplugging the USB cable. As soon as I remove the USB cable, the R30 goes back to normal operation and does not require a restart or anything.
All of this sounds correct to me. The r30 simply goes into mass storage mode. No drivers needed. I run win10 but otherwise it's all the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.