ICOM IC-R7000 Reciever deaf!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fdnybuff18

Premium Subscriber
Guys,

Trying to figure out want is wrong with this reciever. Radio powers on perfect and all controls seem to work but it will not recieve a thing. S-Meter does not move even when programming in a high power NOAA Weather Station near by. Another thing I just noticed is that when pressing the buttons for the "ATT" and the "NB" they will not turn on the display. Unknow if they work due to no reception. Any ideas?????

Thanks in advance.

fdnybuff18

fdnybuff18

Premium Subscriber
Ted,

I noticed this button isn't working either. I will check the front panel later today. Thank yuo for the response.

fdnybuff18

obijohn

Your 7000 problem is likely to be a bad dc-dc converter module. The electrolytic capacitors dry out, and the voltage drops so the vco doesn't get enough voltage.

fdnybuff18

Premium Subscriber
obijohn,

Is that an easy part to replace? Something I have to order from Icom? Thanks in advance. I got the radio through surplus, is it worth it to replace the part. Reciever is in new condition.

fdnybuff18

obijohn

The R7000 dc-dc converter is repairable. Unless you are experienced at removing soldered thru the board components, you should get the radio serviced by someone who is experienced. Besides, as old as these radios are, the Local Oscillator probably needs to have it's reference oscillator set on frequency. On mine, it would no longer stop scanning on an 800 MHz signal. it was that far off frequency. I believe that it was c1 and c2 that were bad on my 7000 dc-dc board. GOOD LUCK!

KC1UA

Scan New England Janitor/Maintenance
Database Admin
The 800 MHz issue is a well documented one, but the radio is WELL worth a repair charge, even if it has to take a trip to Icom in Washington State. They are classics, and great performers. Best of luck with it.

obijohn

I guess I neglected to answer about it being worth the repair cost. I agree with scancapecod-It is worth the cost. Especially if that is all that is wrong with it. I have owned mine for 15+ years, and would never part with it. It was an especially well designed receiver. If you have another receiver that can receive UHF I could help you verify if the L.O.'s are running and if the vco is working. You never said if it just started doing this, or
was it DOA when you bought it? We might want to do this off this reflector.

IdenLarry

Former Member
Never mind. I found the answer somewhere else. Here's the information if anyone else needs it.

If you are having trouble with you Icom R7000 display being flaky and then a sudden decrease in sensitivity try the following:

PROBLEM: ICOM R7000 radios that are used 24 hours a day for a long time (2 years ) when shut off the display will become flaky and it is also possible for a lost in overall gain (3 to 40 db).

SOLUTIONS: Officially there is ICOM ECO SB# 9288-004, attached below.

Unofficially from Tech who repairs R7000, the ECO does help the display problem, but most likely it is not the problem. *

* note repairing your own radio my void you warranty and only allow a qualified technician to do the job, otherwise damage could happen to your R7000. If the VCO does not track then a major alignment would have to be done after. Check the ICOM IC-R7000 Service Manual for more details before starting this repair, and to make sure I have not made any typeing errors you should get a copy of the ECO from ICOM !

1st SOLUTION: Replace on the DC to DC Board the following capacitor. Check the noise with an oscilloscope on both sides of R3, if the noise is not way down on one side then replace C2 a 33uf 16V capacitor. Noise feedback can decress the overall sensitivity of the R7000.

Replace on the Display Board C19 and C20 a 10 uf 16VDC capacitor

I found that on my R7000 C19 & C20 were the cause of my display problems. They are 10 uf eletrolytics capacitors that are lemmon yellow pc mounted units, when they go bad the base of the yellow caps change to a brown color.

I put in the following ECO first but it did not help. If you look at the service manual you will see that the ECO values are on the schematic but my unit had the old values. I suggest that you check the above first, it is a lot easier to do, C19/C20 can be done in 10-15 min while the ECO will take about a hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.