Lake County Sheriffs and County going Starcom

Status
Not open for further replies.

scraech

In the database it says that the lake county current EDACS will be switching over so starcom. Anyone have any info yet or heard any testing? Will the be using the 108 site?

jpm

Lake County

My understanding is that it will be Lake Counties system like Northwest Central Dispatch and DUCOM currently have. NWCD was given the old Chicago north frequencies as well. I'm sure tower 108 would be used by county. As far as encryption unknown although they have secured CID and the jail talk groups on this current EDACS system. I would guess to venture the patrol channels will not be secured because they already have the capability to secure these channels on this current system and have not done so.

jpm

The system is due to be online in 2016.

Last edited:

scraech

As of right now I believe they have really good coverage. The marine units to the forest preserve even sound good on portable's

jpm

I don't think coverage was a issue with the EDACS system but decided to go the digital way for a upgrade. When this EDACS system first came out there was a issue because they wanted to put a tower up near Gilmore rd and 83. My BCD325p2 picks them up better than the BCD396t did. From what I read when the system first came up there was a issue with coverage on the south end of the county. Even if this is a issue they may be able to work on NWCD towers because Wauconda and McHenry dispatchers at times on NWCD.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
Lake Co freqys are listed as "PHASE II" on this weeks "iL-Grants shown on Carma yahoo group by "Jerry".....9k80D7w is P2......

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
I've heard from a very reliable source the system will use encryption on all talk groups.

We can thank Cell phone apps and a certain radio " enthusiast" who was/still a user of this website who used info to interfere with their system.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Actually a fairly well written article that has most of the basic facts correct. Kind of unusual for the Herald.

JT-112

Headline conflates narrowbanding with the move to SC21, but usually the people who write the articles aren't the ones writing the headlines....

In any case, the Lake simulcast group was showing 700 MHz freqs a week ago, so there's progress there. No activity on those freqs at that time though.

crevatis

Has there been recent changes to site 108, or a new site for Lake County? I noticed last night that several talk groups like the Wauconda, or ISP Dist 15 were often not coming up on site 108 while they were coming up next door on site 120. I normally hear these on both sites.

N9JIG

Sheriff
Well, it actually is correct. It is a federal mandate to relocate off of T-Band and there is no mention of narrowbanding (which doesn't apply to T-Band). There is no mandate of course to move to 700/800 or P25 of course, just to get off T-Band.

melvin1987

Premium Subscriber
FYI major update to the talkgroups on the SC21 Lake County site. Lots of TDMA and encryption modes. Still in testing phase.

gary7753

If lake county goes as posted here I will be running out of things to listen to as far as Public safety is concerned. I have by business in Elgin and encrypted and now Lake County. I guess they all want us in the dark as not to hear about another fox lake incident. With police asking for citizens to get involved with the current affair's locally and in our country that's tough without knowing what's going on locally in a timely fashion.

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
My town (Joliet) is total "ENC", at least I can hear still Elgin FD on tower 126 here as my daughter lives and works there....The police chief here is asking for public help on rash of home burglarys, I worked with a cop friend here on a similar situation in the past....He was happy I had a scanner and helped him with info and tips....He is now really mad that no one can hear him and most of my scanner friends have said let the chief figure it out himself now that he shut out everyone......

Status
Not open for further replies.