Chicago-area radio shops

Status
Not open for further replies.

N4TMQ

I searched and couldn't find any recent posts about this, so I'm trying here.

Can anyone recommend a shop in Chicago (or nearby) for installation of a permanent hole NMO mount antenna on my vehicle?

Thanks.

Dennis

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
I searched and couldn't find any recent posts about this, so I'm trying here.

Can anyone recommend a shop in Chicago (or nearby) for installation of a permanent hole NMO mount antenna on my vehicle?

Thanks.

Dennis

Give Dave Clark, "The Alarm Guy" a call. He's located in Westmont. 630-476-5266. Tell him Will Sperling referred you. You must supply the NMO mount and connector you want attached to the other end. He does not check SWR, just installs the mount and runs the cable where you need it terminated. He will also install the radio, run the power, etc., for a nominal price.

N4TMQ

Where are you located?. There are plenty of places in the Chicago area
I'm in Chicago and I know of only one two-way radio shop in the city. What are the names and locations of the ones you can recommend?

N4TMQ

Give Dave Clark, "The Alarm Guy" a call. He's located in Westmont. 630-476-5266. Tell him Will Sperling referred you. You must supply the NMO mount and connector you want attached to the other end. He does not check SWR, just installs the mount and runs the cable where you need it terminated. He will also install the radio, run the power, etc., for a nominal price.
Thanks, Will. I left Dave a message.

N4TMQ

Where are you located?. There are plenty of places in the Chicago area
Just to be clear, I'm looking for a shop that specializes in two-way radio installation. I'm aware that some audio/specialty shops have the tools and know-how, as well.

I've only found one two-way radio shop in the city of Chicago, and they've yet to come back with an estimate.

The main reason I'm posting here is get a recommendation based upon personal knowledge of forum members.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
It doesn't have to be a two way shop. Emergency vehicle upfitter shop also. So if you were to give more information I could point you in a direction as I have worked in the 2 way and Emergency vehicle upfitting business for over 20 years in the Chicago area. I also am good friends with W9WSS and know his recommendation.

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Worse comes to worse, I could do it. I've installed plenty over the years in my, and others vehicles. But it's a bit of a drive out here, and my days off are spotty.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
Thanks. I see they have a location in Elmhurst. I'll give them a call.

Check around on pricing. It should cost ~$100.

Bearcom likes to bill hourly (with a 1 hr minimum). Some shops have flat rate pricing for antenna installs. For a single, walk-in install I generally send customers to one of our competitors (since our pricing is a little high for just that and we don't have available techs on hand).

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
Dave Clark "The Alarm Guy"

It doesn't have to be a two way shop. Emergency vehicle upfitter shop also. So if you were to give more information I could point you in a direction as I have worked in the 2 way and Emergency vehicle upfitting business for over 20 years in the Chicago area. I also am good friends with W9WSS and know his recommendation.

I'm not familiar with Dave's pricing, but he's an excellent craftsman, and has done numerous jobs for lots of my referrals. I'm hopeful you get in touch with him, Dennis.

N4TMQ

I'm not familiar with Dave's pricing, but he's an excellent craftsman, and has done numerous jobs for lots of my referrals. I'm hopeful you get in touch with him, Dennis.
Will, I spoke to Dave on Friday evening. He's a considerable distance from me, but I'll bring my vehicle to him to get a quote if I can't find anyone closer.

N4TMQ

Check around on pricing. It should cost ~$100.

Bearcom likes to bill hourly (with a 1 hr minimum). Some shops have flat rate pricing for antenna installs. For a single, walk-in install I generally send customers to one of our competitors (since our pricing is a little high for just that and we don't have available techs on hand).
Thanks. That sounds reasonable for an antenna install. But if I'm going the installer route, I'd like to have the whole job done by the installer.

That would include a pedestal mount that I'll provide for the control head that would be installed in a well on the vehicle's center console, installing the body of the radio under the passenger seat, installing an external speaker next to or under the driver seat, running coax to the trunklid NMO mount, electrical feed from the battery, and running other necessary cables out of sight in the cabin.

The one quote I have for labor from a suburban shop is $350.

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
RADCO Communications

I heard that the owner of the building that Radco is located in sold the property. Radco may be closing their doors, and have chose not to re-open. This has not been substantiated, but then again, it may have already occurred.

Call 630-858-5212 which is their business number. They did the installations for the agency I worked for over 40 years.

N4TMQ

I heard that the owner of the building that Radco is located in sold the property. Radco may be closing their doors, and have chose not to re-open. This has not been substantiated, but then again, it may have already occurred.

Call 630-858-5212 which is their business number. They did the installations for the agency I worked for over 40 years.
They're still open for business and are not about to close, according to the person who answered the phone at Radco.

N4TMQ

Will,

Don from Radco will call me tomorrow.

I followed FFPM571's recommendation and contacted my closest emergency vehicle upfitter, Lund Industries in Northbrook. However, they told me they don't work on "retail" vehicles, only public safety vehicles. The person I spoke to at Lund suggested I contact a custom car stereo/alarm system outfitter who might be more familiar with my Kia; Lund said they work almost exclusively on Fords.

Radco, it would appear, handles a greater diversity of jobs.

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
Radco worked on our squad cars for almost as long as I was a police officer with my agency. They have always done quality work.

I would compare Radco's pricing with Dave Clark's before signing on the dotted line. I can vouch for both of them. Dave is two miles from my home; Radco is 20 miles. I imagine both of them are a considerable distance from your location in Chicago.

Status
Not open for further replies.