Newb question about the Lake Co. area

Status
Not open for further replies.

kbscanner

Greetings all.

I've been listening to an analog scanner for the last 20 or so years. I'm looking to upgrade since everything local has gone to starcom. I have been reading a lot lately on this site, and I am thankful for the wealth of information here. I'm just looking for clarification on something.

I have searched and read what I could find, but my search-fu may be lacking. According to the TG database on this site, it appears most agencies in Lake Co., sheriffs aside, are mostly not encrypted. I want to make sure this is the case before I drop $500 on a new scanner. I'm looking at either the BCD536HP or the HP2.

Any input is welcome. TIA.

Karl

K9DAK

Premium Subscriber
Hi Karl... welcome!

Yes, many agencies have moved to the new Lake County StarCom system, and are encrypted. The database here may or may not be accurate when it comes to showing encrypted talkgroups; for example, Lake Zurich (which dispatches for my town) is listed as P25 Phase II, not encrypted... when in fact it is encrypted.

Let me know what agencies in which you're interested and I'll have a listen and let you know what I hear (or don't hear).

kbscanner

Thanks for the response.

I'm mostly interested in police dispatch from FoxComm and CenCom. I still get Fire on analog, but only RL remains on those bands as far as police goes. I live in Lindenhurst. I know Lindenhurst PD is now dispatched by Glenview, so I'm wondering about that as well.

Thanks again. :)

kevino

Database Administrator
Database Admin
Hi Karl... welcome!

Yes, many agencies have moved to the new Lake County StarCom system, and are encrypted. The database here may or may not be accurate when it comes to showing encrypted talkgroups; for example, Lake Zurich (which dispatches for my town) is listed as P25 Phase II, not encrypted... when in fact it is encrypted.

Let me know what agencies in which you're interested and I'll have a listen and let you know what I hear (or don't hear).

The Radio Reference database is only as accurate as it's users make it. If you know that something is missing or in need of being corrected or updated, PLEASE make a database submission!

kbscanner

Now I kinda want to buy one just to help the cause.

I'm new to the world of digital Tx, but I absolutely enjoy listening to my scanner. It's my only hobby, sad as that may be. Well...that, and shooting holes in paper. This one is cheaper. ;)

K9DAK

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, sorry about that Kevin... I have a fairly extensive list of corrections sitting in my desk drawer upstairs in the Scannitarium, just haven't had the time to send in multiple submissions... different agencies, counties, etc.

Can I send you a single list of everything at once?

Karl, sorry to hijack the thread... I'll program FoxComm, CenCom and Lindenhurst in the next couple days and let you know what I hear.

The Radio Reference database is only as accurate as it's users make it. If you know that something is missing or in need of being corrected or updated, PLEASE make a database submission!

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
Cencom police and fire is still VHF. Foxcomm police is starcom Encrypted, fire VHF still. Lindenhurst police Starcom Encrypted. Fire VHF ( Lake Villa FPD)

kevino

Database Administrator
Database Admin
Yeah, sorry about that Kevin... I have a fairly extensive list of corrections sitting in my desk drawer upstairs in the Scannitarium, just haven't had the time to send in multiple submissions... different agencies, counties, etc.

Can I send you a single list of everything at once?

Sure thing! I only edit the Cook, DuPage and STARCOM21 pages, but will pass along anything else to the proper folks. Thanks in advance!

kbscanner

Cencom police and fire is still VHF. Foxcomm police is starcom Encrypted, fire VHF still. Lindenhurst police Starcom Encrypted. Fire VHF ( Lake Villa FPD)

Well, that's disappointing. Even if I decided to pick up a fancy new digital unit, I wouldn't be able to hear any more than I can now.

Thank you for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.