Starcom21-SDS100 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blunt630

This might be a noob question, but I have the SDS100.. any benefits of adding Provoice, DMR, or NXDN.

Will I see/hear any improvements around the Chicago-land area?

Thanks!

justinkmunger

For STARCOM21 you wouldn't need any of those, as well as for any other P25 systems. P25 systems are mostly public safety/service so if that's where your scanning interests lie, you'd be mostly set.

However if you are interested in listening to anything other types of traffic like businesses, railroads, etc, especially the trunked systems like Diga-Talk and pdvWireless, you'd most definitely need NXDN and DMR respectively. Even for conventional repeaters, DMR and NXDN usage far outnumbers analog, at least for what I can hear here on the north side of Chicago. My old scanners without these two digital modes are fairly useless these days for anything else but CPD/CFD and the occasional LTR system and Motorola Type I/II systems (but those are disappearing as time goes on).

The only ProVoice system listed in Cook County is the Greater Chicago Water Reclamation District system and I believe that's only data/telemetry. I've never heard anything that resembles ProVoice voice traffic on it. So you'd probably be safe passing on ProVoice.

So, if you think you're gonna stick with purely listening to public safety/service, you won't need the upgrades. But if you have any interests outside of that, you'll definitely need DMR for sure, and probably NXDN as well.

Hope that helps,

Justin

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
Alot of Ambulance services west of Chicago are on NXDN, and Alot of DMR around

Status
Not open for further replies.