Illinois State Police 700 Mhz vehicle antennas

Status
Not open for further replies.

w9ank

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know the brand/model of antenna that ISP uses on squad cars and/or motorcycles? Thanks!

Willco10

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone know the brand/model of antenna that ISP uses on squad cars and/or motorcycles? Thanks!

Someone told me years ago that it is a PCTEL Maxrad - MaxBase 760-870 MHz 3dB Gain Antenna which is also available on amazon.com. This may no longer be correct though.

Blunt630

I did see a ISP Dist 2 Trooper on a MSC inspection have multiple different types of antennas. From Maxrad to low profile antennas.

MikeyC

There seems to be a decent mix of antennas on ISP vehicles aside from the "standard" Motorola 700/800 MHz which is the Maxrad BMAX7603S. Around here it's usually a 1/4 wave VHF antenna and a shorted 1/4 wave antenna for the MDC. At least one of the MCS SUVs has a Laid WPD136M6C-001 which is a VHF/UHF/800 antenna. Others have a Firestik or the like CB antenna as well.

At the Chicago auto show a couple years back the Dist. 15 car they had on display had 3 Sti-Co flexi-whip antennas cut to various lengths.

Long story short, the antenna with the spring and the open coil in the middle is the BMAX7603S :)

MikeyC

I passed the scene of a semi TC on I-80 near Ottawa tonight and the two Dist. 17 units (an Impala and a K-9 SUV) had large multi-band antennas on their vehicles in place of the MAX7603S in addition to the 1/4 wave VHF and a small probably 2.4 GHz / GPS antenna. The multi-band looked a LOT like the PCTEL PCTWSLMR

PCTEL

VASCAR2

The new Explorers I’ve seen has the dual band whip PCTEL antenna. These Explorers also have a black multi band antenna which looks like a small box. The antenna in the link is similar in appearance to the block shaped antennas on the Explorers.

https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...&ved=0ahUKEwjojKv4383dAhUH6IMKHR_lAJcQgTYImgY

The Explorers I’ve seen still have the ICOM VHF Hi Band Mobiles. I know the APX 7500 mobiles are VHF/700/800 plus have GPS tracking. I know the older Explorers with new APX radios still had the small antenna used for the IWIN lap top computers usually mounted in front of the light bar.

The 1/4 wave VHF antenna are used for the vehicular repeater. Some cars have a small antenna for the in car video system for the wireless mic. A very few ISP Patrol cars still have CB radio antennas.

Status
Not open for further replies.