Chicago Police Department’s Bike Patrol Trials Smart Watches

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Mission Critical magazine has reported that the Chicago Police Department is trialing smart watches with customized applications for its officers on bike patrol. About 10 officers use Samsung Galaxy smart watches with a mobile dispatch application to keep their hands free but interact with dispatch as needed.

See the full article at https://www.rrmediagroup.com/News/NewsDetails/newsID/17588

Sent from my LG-Q710AL using Tapatalk

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
This ought to be interesting. I implemented mobile app CAD on a couple of our agencies as a test, (I use One Solution CAD). the mobile app, Freedom, runs on iOS and Android, and supports Windows 10 (via HTML browser such as Chrome). It's been VERY effective at minimizing radio traffic, and also gives the benefit of AVL (using location services native to the device), as well as "quick help" silent alarm. Freedom also allows NCIC/GCIC (state) queries direct from the phone/tablet. Even has a license scanner to read the bar code and auto populates all the fields needed.
It's interesting to see a CAD vendor deploy an app for a smart watch. I'm curious as to how useful it is, as the limits of a mobile device app really show when it comes to the MFR side. Writing narratives on a tablet? No thanks. This is where a traditional MCT still rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.