Need help programming for disabled person

Status
Not open for further replies.

btrout

A disabled, blind man in my church, Rex, has asked me to "fix" his scanner because it makes some odd squealing noises at times and he apparently is not happy with the types of municipal departments he is receiving on his radio. He has asked me to help because I am a tech-oriented person and he thinks I should be able to fix his problem. Listening to the scanner is one of his favorite things to do for entertainment.

He has a RadioShack Pro-96 scanner with the current DSP version: DSP-App:U1.4. He has the 800 MHz antenna upgrade. He lives in the Indianapolis, Indiana (Marion County) area on the west side of town. I recently purchased the RadioShack Scanner Programming Cable with trial software in order to see what currently is on his scanner.

Unfortunately, I know very little about scanners, what is available to listen to, and almost nothing about programming.

Rex tells me he would like to listen to just about everything his scanner can receive. I tried to get him to be more specific about this. So, he said he'd like to listen to Fire, Police (IMPD and others), Local Sherriffs, Ambulance, Schools' Security, Hospitals, and IndyGo buses.

I have tried to grasp an understanding of what is required to program these things in his scanner, but it begins to get overwhelming. Personally, I am not that interested in getting my own scanner and I certainly don't have the time for another hobby. But I really would like to help Rex and am willing to learn enough to program his scanner.

His scanner already has some programming that is done. On boot up the screen reads:
Programmed by
Scancat -Lit
888-722-6228

It appears that all 10 Banks have programming and the data appears similar to what I found on RadioReference.com for the Marian Co. area. However, Banks 0-3 were disabled in the scan.

Rex says he bought his radio about 2 years ago, but I think it has been longer.

Can anyone give me some pointers on how to program what Rex would like to hear?

Thank you,

Bob

W9NES

Bob, I will offer my help to program the Radio Shack Pro-96.I do own a RS Pro-96 and I programed the radio by hand with out the use of the computer.I live on the Indianapolis NW Side.

Last edited:

Viper43

No, Click on W9NES name and a link should come up to PM him. If not you may need to turn on PM in your User CP up towards the top of the page. That link to User CP will take you to a page where you can set things up. bonce set up you can then send/recieve PM's and so on. When you recieve a PM it will show in the upper right corner where it shows you are logged in.

btrout

No Private Messaging

Viper43 and W9NES,

My User CP does not have a checkbox for enabling Private Messaging. You can see from the screenshot of the User CP that this is not available.

Now what?

Bob

Attachments

• RR User CP.jpg
    RR User CP.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 280

scannerfreak

Database Admin
You can't PM because you're a new user and by default are set to moderated.

Once a new user posts three times they will be automatically removed from moderation and will be able to PM. This is to prevent SPAM.

You have reached that post count so you should be all set :)

Last edited:

Viper43

it looks OK there, the right things are checked off. just click on W9NES's name or mine and it should come up with a line asking if you want to PM them then click that and it will work. The only other thing is you may need a certain number of posts before being able to PM but I don't remember that being the case....but I've been around here a while too and don't remember how it was when I first started.

btrout

Viper43, thanks for your help.

As scannerfreak said, it appears I needed 3 posts before I could PM. Now that I've had 3, I can now PM. Too bad the Forum FAQ didn't mention that.

Thanks for you help.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.