No signal on Undiden BCD396XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

thatolkevin

I am brand new to DMA scanning, and have spent hours reading forums and wikis to no avail. I'd be much obliged for help.

I am trying to program my 396XT in Jeffersonville, IN, to listen to local transmissions. I set up a site with control and alternate channel frequencies from Floyds Knobs and Charlestown. I included the frequencies listed in RR's updated Indiana SAFE-T page, as well as frequencies listed at 800ta.org when I entered the call signs from the above-named towns. I also created a group and entered dozens of local decimal IDs.

The device scans continuously without receiving any signal, and I am at a loss for what to try next.

I have the most recent firmware.

Thanks in advance.

JStemann

Premium Subscriber
If you haven't already, you'll need to make sure the site is set for motorola rebanded and you'll need to do the custom bandplan. I have only done this with software, so i won't be much help if you're doing it manually. By far the easiest way to do this would be to use freescan software and import from radio ref database. You will still need to select moto rebanded, but other than that you should be up and running in a few minutes.

Jeff.

thatolkevin

It's working.

I did indeed need to apply the custom band plan. Found this information in an email after a Google search:

Band Plan Base Freq (Lower) Base Freq (Upper) Offset Polarity Spacing
1 851.025MHz 854.000MHz 440 + 25 kHz
2 851.0125MHz 868.9875MHz 0 + 25 kHz

Put it in and it worked. Thanks for the help, Jeff, and I hope this thread will be a time-saver to anyone who looks it up in the future.

Kevin
Jeffersonville, IN

W9NES

If you would like to make sure that your scanner is working go to the system you are monitoring in the menu. go to scan or search, highlight the search and enter. You should be able to hear and see talkgroups that are active on that site. You do not need a custom re banded table as the Uniden 396XT will to this for you

Anon6083

Premium Subscriber
thatolkevin,

I think it would be easiest for us to troubleshoot if you were able to download FreeScan, use it download your scanner's current configuration to a .396 file, and upload that file in a reply post so that those of us with Uniden XT-series experience can review your configuration.

Contrary to a recent post in this thread, the 396XT will not automatically apply the requisite band plan for you to monitor those sites. If you do choose to install FreeScan, this wiki page will be particularly helpful in setting up each site that you want to monitor as rebanded.

Let us know how you want to proceed.

W9NES

Contary to my last post I did not have to apply Freescan.I programed the 396XT for safe-t and nothing elese was done. The Unden 396T and the 996T will have to have the Freescan applied. I hear eveything on Safe-t just fine the way I should.

thatolkevin

Thanks to all of you. I got it working, though other suggestions came in as my first "it's working, thanks" post was waiting for mod approval. Been listening all morning and it's been bliss.

Kevin

JStemann

Premium Subscriber
Been a little while since i reprogrammed my scanners for rebanding, but i'm pretty sure that (with freescan) i had to go back and select moto custom bandplan or moto rebanded for the system type, however it's worded. I know it didn't do that for me. It did do the custom bandplan, after i selected the new system type.

Jeff.

W9NES

thatolkevin, I programed mine by hand witrh no computer needed. The Uniden 396 T and the 996T need a custom band table not the Uniden 396XT. This is allready in the software that is in the scanner that comes from Uniden. I hear everything I need to hear with no problems and no garbling and no messed calls. If I was having a problem a would have garbling and woud be missing calls. You do not need freescan. If you were in the Metro Indianapolis.Marion County area I would glad to asist you with your scanner. Thank You.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
I programed mine by hand witrh no computer needed. The Uniden 396 T and the 996T need a custom band table not the Uniden 396XT. .

If the 396T and 996T need a custom table, then the 396XT will also. The 396XT didn't require a firmware update to be able to apply the custom tables so that may be what you are referring to.

Last edited:

W9NES

The Uniden 396XT has advanced software and the custom table is built in to the software.The 396XT will do this for the user on its own. No I am not refering to any frimware update in order to get the custom tables to be applied. This is a extra step that is not needed.

KevinC

Super Moderator
The Uniden 396XT has advanced software and the custom table is built in to the software.The 396XT will do this for the user on its own. No I am not refering to any frimware update in order to get the custom tables to be applied. This is a extra step that is not needed.

WOW! Maybe this should be posted in the Uniden forum as no one else knows about this feature.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
You do not need a custom re banded table as the Uniden 396XT will to this for you

Contary to my last post I did not have to apply Freescan.I programed the 396XT for safe-t and nothing elese was done. The Unden 396T and the 996T will have to have the Freescan applied. I hear eveything on Safe-t just fine the way I should.

The Uniden 396 T and the 996T need a custom band table not the Uniden 396XT. This is allready in the software that is in the scanner that comes from Uniden.

I really don't even know where to begin here, so I'll keep it short. You are wrong.

The XT models had support for rebanding built into the initial firmware, vs the T models that required a firmware update.

That has nothing to do with the fact that you still have to tell the scanner that you are tracking a rebanded Motorola system. That is true for both T and XT models, period. If you do not tell the scanner that it's a rebanded system, requiring the custom table, you're probably going to run into trouble at some point.

I can go into all the technical details pointing out why this is true, and what exactly goes on with rebanding as far as the channel # plan, and the fact that some frequencies are affected while others are not, and why certain systems/sites can continue to operate without custom tables, and why some of the older scanners that are "not reband capable" in fact will still function on certain systems/sites....but really, I'd just be wasting my time trying to explain it all to you. You're thickheaded and you'll just continue to argue that you are right and the rest of us have no clue what we are talking about.

To anyone else besides Tim reading this thread...if you'd like a more detailed explanation of why this rebanding stuff can be hit or miss when it comes to scanners...let me know and I'll be happy to take the time to lay it all out.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
No rebanding tables needed. The xt models had support for rebanding built into the intial frimware. Did I not say this? No signs of garbbled signals or missing calls which is a sign that a rebaning table is needed.

There are technical reasons why certain systems or sites MAY not need rebanding tables, but those are the EXCEPTION, not the RULE. Clearly you fail to fully understand how rebanding works, or how Uniden scanners handle rebanded systems, so please...stop arguing. You already have zero credibility on this site, so why continue to dig the hole?

KevinC

Super Moderator
No rebanding tables needed. The xt models had support for rebanding built into the intial frimware. Did I not say this? No signs of garbbled signals or missing calls which is a sign that a rebaning table is needed.

Yes, you did say that...but that's wrong. Going back to what you said about a 396T needing custom tables and a 396XT not needing them is incorrect. If both radios are listening to the same site on the same system and the 396T requires the custom tables, I can promise you the 396XT will also.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
When Indiana did their re-banding I had to do some reprogramming in order to receive the Floyds Knobs and Charlestown sites. I re-did the control frequencies and edited the custom bandplan.

The control frequencies for Floyds Knobs are 853.400 and 853.900. For Charlestown they are 852.450 and 853.9375, (You'll need to be sure each of these are programmed as separate sites).

The Motorola custom bandplan settings for both sites are the same. There are two lines (I use ARCXT for my programming). This was something I had to change in order to receive the sites. I'm not too wealthy in the technical savvy department, to say if one has to do the custom bandplan. However simply changing the control channels didn't work for me. Only after I edited the customband plan was I able to receive Indiana's system. (It was a patience trying experience I might add).

The custom bandplan editor has two lines filled.
Line one has Lower/Base of 851.0250, Upper of 854.0000, Step 25.0 and Offset 440.
Line two has Lower/Base of 851.0125, Upper of 868.9875, Step 25.0 and Offset 0

As I write this, I'm listening to the Floyds Knobs site - I'm a little too far away for Charlestown.

Also, one thing I do whenever I'm scratching my head on whether or not I'm able to receive a trunked system is to program in ALL of the frequencies associated with the system as a conventional (not trunked) system. I'll then scan that system. Hopefully the scanner locks onto the control channel and I'll hear noise. I lock that channel out and resume scanning. Sooner or later I'll (hopefully) hear voice traffic. That tells me my radio can indeed receive the system. From there, it becomes a question proper settings for when I program the system as a trunked system.

Last edited:

W9NES

Thanks, but my Uniden 396XT works the way it should and I do not need any custom band plan in a Uniden 396XT. That is my point "The xt models had support for rebanding built into the firmware vs the T models that required a frimware update"

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
I believe what W9NES is trying to say is that the 396XT has the Custom Band Tables Preset and what you need to do is when programming the site lets say Safe T is to select Motorola Custom NOT Motorola standard or P25 but to Select Motorola Custom and the Tables should be Preset already in the latest Firmware The 396T and 996T do not have these preset tables you have to put them in VS the 396XT has them

Status
Not open for further replies.