Clark County Fire/New Albany Fire Units

Status
Not open for further replies.

scannerfreak

Database Admin
When the various Clark County Fire Departments do their morning radio checks they call the various units, such as Engine 1, etc. They then call an Engine 1A, Engine 1W. New Albany Fire also calls an "s".

Anyone know that these are? Are these actual units, or a sub unit of the initial unit? I thought the "W" may be for the portable radios affiliated with the apparatus?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
On the Kentucky side of the Ohio River, we'll use the "W" to signify it is the portable radio of the officer for the fire company. Thus Engine 1W will be the officer of Engine 1.

The "S" could be the sergeant (apparatus driver). The "A" could be a crew member (as in firefighter riding the back part of the apparatus).

Cryptx

A little insight here at least from NAFD:

Engine 1 = Actual Apparatus
Engine 1W = Captain's Portable
Engine 1S = Sergeant's Portable
Engine 1A = Pipeman's Portable

When listening to Clarksville "Engine 1A" would be the Captain.

I believe Jeffersonville is in the process of going to something similiar to NAFD.

Hope this helps,
Trevin

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Some departments can only budget for 1 HT for each rig, and the A in that case always designates the HT. Back in my VFF/EMT/FR days, we had that system, since we could only afford to outfit the units with a single HT. We had to purchase our own HT's for individual usage, and used our badge #'s as designations for both our mobiles in our vehicles, and our HT's. EX: My BN was 31, and since we did a lot of interop with PD, PD used the town initials, and we used FD... When letting FD, or EOC know I am en route etc, you'd hear "FD31, FD. 31 is 10-17 Code 3 to scene, advise when Engine 3 is 10-17." Then once 3 was on scene and we were knocking a fire out, and say, I was on hose and they turned on the water for my line, you'd hear "Engine 3 A, 31. Pressure in the line!" Though now with the growth of the budget, and overall FD back there, they run according to more standard tactical guidelines. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.