Tollroad Counties

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a house along a busy road in Mercer County, Far
So, I was crossing the state on Wednesday and Thursday on 80/94 while using my 996XT. Having downloaded the state system into the scanner from RR I figured I was good to go. I thought wrong! I didn't hear or even get a signal with the downloaded info in Steuben, Elkhart, La Porte (North Tower), Porter or Lake Counties. However I was able to pick up La Porte (South Tower), St. Joseph, Lagrange and Noble Counties. I did a check online to make sure the control channels were correct and they were and were also set to FM.

When I realized I wasn't picking up anything I did a limit search and that hit on the control channels just as you would expect the scanner to do. I had a relatively strong signal in each and every county however I had absolutely no modulation (which was set to "auto") at all even though I was picking up the talk group ID's. This makes a lot of nonsense to me. Does anyone have a solution or does anyone have the same problem.

This was my first time out with the 996XT in the truck. I normally have my 396XT with me and it has always worked just fine in the state. Saying that, I have not run across your state with the 396XT in about 6 months and I have no clue if the way I have it set up will work right now and won't know till Monday afternoon when I return to Chicago by way of 80/94.

I can't see how one scanner would work and the other not since I cloned from the 396 to the 996. Any thoughts on the subject would be appreciated. BTW, I am also using and external antenna and not the stock antenna. I am trying to cover all of my bases here as to alleviate any unnecessary replies.

jiminpgh

Lurker
Premium Subscriber
REBANDED

They rebanded.
If you downloaded the info from RR then the new control channels should be right, but if you are using the default band plan, you will get the results your are describing. The system looks like its there, but you only hear limited things or nothing at all.
Did you change your scanners band plan?
You need the rebanding band plan................

Software Support for Uniden Rebanding - The RadioReference Wiki
851.025 854.00 25 440
851.0125 868.9875 25 0

From RR
Note that in most cases, if you have a premium subscription, software that supports downloading data from the database will set the correct system type and custom tables automatically, as long as the rebanding flag has been set. This flag results in a warning message about the system being rebanded in the form.

Don't worry this happened to me too, kinda frustrating. If you are going to Hammond, this also applies.

Safe Travels,
Jim in Pittsburgh

Last edited:
Maybe, Maybe not.....

They rebanded.
If you downloaded the info from RR then the new control channels should be right, but if you are using the default band plan, you will get the results your are describing. The system looks like its there, but you only hear limited things or nothing at all.
Did you change your scanners band plan?
You need the rebanding band plan................

Software Support for Uniden Rebanding - The RadioReference Wiki
851.025 854.00 25 440
851.0125 868.9875 25 0

From RR
Note that in most cases, if you have a premium subscription, software that supports downloading data from the database will set the correct system type and custom tables automatically, as long as the rebanding flag has been set. This flag results in a warning message about the system being rebanded in the form.

Don't worry this happened to me too, kinda frustrating. If you are going to Hammond, this also applies.

Safe Travels,
Jim in Pittsburgh

Thanks for the info Jim however I stated that I have a 996XT and this scanner should be set up already for the rebanding issue that you describe. This is from the web address you posted... " XT version scanners already have the firmware updates to support rebanding. "

jiminpgh

Lurker
Premium Subscriber
The Re-Band Band Plan: Band on the Run

I do not use the RR download feature.
I have a 996T, I use Uniden USAD, and Freescan for programming.
I think I flashed my scanner for rebanding, but I can't recall. USAD is really handy because when I travel I can set up a configuration for the trip preloaded with all the systems for that trip. If I'm going to Chicago, I load the Chicago configuration, and write to the scanner. It takes 5 minutes, and most times I'm in a hurry. No fuss.

It took quite awhile for me to get my head around the whole rebanding thing.
P25 systems most of the time just move down 15Mhz or maybe change a control channel or two. I don't think you need a custom band plan. Illinois rebanded and all I had to do was change CC's. Sounds like Michigan is next.

Type II analog and digital mixed mode rebanded systems are whole different story and will make you crazy. Indiana and Conn both fall into this category. It looks like Ohio is not going to bother rebanding their obsolete type II system and are building a new 700Mhz P25 phase two system.
For IN and CT, and a handful of smaller systems, Hammond as an example, I had to use Freescan, because I can do the Type II with the custom band plan. There is a lot more to this, but suffice it to say, that nagging little detail of the custom band plan is worth looking into.

From what I read on the above post is there is a flag or something that you need to pay attention to for the custom band plan when you use the RR download.

I ran across Conn and Indiana a bunch of times with your same problem brother......
I've been doing this awhile, and don't post much, but this issue was tricky.
You need that special re-band band plan.

I do not use the RR download feature.
I have a 996T, I use Uniden USAD, and Freescan for programming.
I think I flashed my scanner for rebanding, but I can't recall. USAD is really handy because when I travel I can set up a configuration for the trip preloaded with all the systems for that trip. If I'm going to Chicago, I load the Chicago configuration, and write to the scanner. It takes 5 minutes, and most times I'm in a hurry. No fuss.

It took quite awhile for me to get my head around the whole rebanding thing.
P25 systems most of the time just move down 15Mhz or maybe change a control channel or two. I don't think you need a custom band plan. Illinois rebanded and all I had to do was change CC's. Sounds like Michigan is next.

Type II analog and digital mixed mode rebanded systems are whole different story and will make you crazy. Indiana and Conn both fall into this category. It looks like Ohio is not going to bother rebanding their obsolete type II system and are building a new 700Mhz P25 phase two system.
For IN and CT, and a handful of smaller systems, Hammond as an example, I had to use Freescan, because I can do the Type II with the custom band plan. There is a lot more to this, but suffice it to say, that nagging little detail of the custom band plan is worth looking into.

From what I read on the above post is there is a flag or something that you need to pay attention to for the custom band plan when you use the RR download.

I ran across Conn and Indiana a bunch of times with your same problem brother......
I've been doing this awhile, and don't post much, but this issue was tricky.
You need that special re-band band plan.

Ok JIm, I have another question for ya. Do I need to add the band plan to each and every site or is there a way to just add it once and make it cover the whole system? I will be using FreeScan to do the programming and I will look for the flag that you mentioned. I can't say that I have ever seen it while setting up a system. But then why would I since I was never looking for it, right? Lol...

jiminpgh

Lurker
Premium Subscriber
Ok JIm, I have another question for ya. Do I need to add the band plan to each and every site or is there a way to just add it once and make it cover the whole system? I will be using FreeScan to do the programming and I will look for the flag that you mentioned. I can't say that I have ever seen it while setting up a system. But then why would I since I was never looking for it, right? Lol...

I have never done the RR download thing, and the flag thing to pay attention to is part of the RR download process, me thinks. Each and every site requires the custom band plan. I have the freescan file specific to the Tollroad if you like I will send it. This is GPS enabled. I'm thinking the 996T system would work with the 996XT. You are welcome to PM me with your email, and I can send the file and others if you like.

I have a project in Hermitage and I think you are from around there, perhaps we could exchange systems for Mercer county.

Jim

jiminpgh

Lurker
Premium Subscriber
I took a picture of the relevant Freescan page. Notice the Site Type drop down box, Mot Custom/ Reband Type II, and then the System band plan dialog box. There it is, plain as day. I was on the Toll Road 3 weeks ago and it worked then. I'll give to you if you want, PM.

Attachments

• Toll Road.jpg
    Toll Road.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.