Info Needed on Detailed Repeater Locations

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9DUC

Fellow Hams,
I am in the process of putting together a map type list of repeaters in Indiana, specifically central Indiana. Marion County and surrounding, Johnson and surrounding counties.
I would like to pick each of your brains a little. If you know of a repeater and its location please share it with me.
For Example : 146.700 - ,W9IRA. 96th and Ditch Rd , channel 13 tower/antenna.
(I don't need the exact address especially if it a private residence, I want to respect privacy. But nearest major cross roads would be great.

I have looked "on line" but one site was full of faulty info, it had the above repeater listed as being in Beech Grove.

Again I appreciate any help and Information you all can offer.
Thank you in advance!!

N9DUC

N9DUC

@aaron315 , that is a good start Thank you. It seems to be a good source but a very limited one. Thanks again.

Anyone else have some for me?

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
There are a handful of repeaters that I use as tests of these on-line repeater listings.

In spite of their "Updated daily" claim, ArtSci has repeater listings that are 10 years out of date and are now incorrect.
I found one repeater listed as being off-air that I know is on-air. Otherwise, my test repeater searches came up clean.
Also contains 10-year-old data that is inaccurate.

The list of amateur radio repeaters that are currently coordinated by the Indiana Repeater Council can be found at: Repeater Directory Listing . Charlie Sears, the IRC Frequency Coordinator, keeps that list up-to-date with the IRC's coordinations. You typically will not find precise repeater locations in these listings because some repeater trustees are protective of that information.

jim202

The problem with most of the repeater databases is the information is old, lacking details and generally missing the CTCSS tone required to be able to get into the repeater in question. It seems like no one is supplying any updated information to any of the owners of these databases.

I travel around the country often and have managed to obtain updated information of repeaters along the highways I travel. It has taken a number of years to collect this information. Maybe those of you that are looking so hard for this information, should try to send updates to the different web sites you use. I looked at the ones suggested here and they also are missing many of the active repeaters and or tone input information.

If you want the information to be correct and current, it will take action on every ones part to make it happen. There is no single or even several databases that contain up to date info. They are all at least missing the tone info. Can't understand why it is so hard to have this information supplied and put into the many databases there are for repeaters around the country.

If you find a repeater is owned by a club and go to that club's web site. Many times the tone required to be able to get into that repeater is not even given on the club web site. This seems to be common all around the country. Maybe it's just me, but is there any explanation why this is so common?

gaburbano

Premium Subscriber
The problem with most of the repeater databases is the information is old, lacking details and generally missing the CTCSS tone required to be able to get into the repeater in question. It seems like no one is supplying any updated information to any of the owners of these databases.

I travel around the country often and have managed to obtain updated information of repeaters along the highways I travel. It has taken a number of years to collect this information. Maybe those of you that are looking so hard for this information, should try to send updates to the different web sites you use. I looked at the ones suggested here and they also are missing many of the active repeaters and or tone input information.

If you want the information to be correct and current, it will take action on every ones part to make it happen. There is no single or even several databases that contain up to date info. They are all at least missing the tone info. Can't understand why it is so hard to have this information supplied and put into the many databases there are for repeaters around the country.

If you find a repeater is owned by a club and go to that club's web site. Many times the tone required to be able to get into that repeater is not even given on the club web site. This seems to be common all around the country. Maybe it's just me, but is there any explanation why this is so common?

Most repeater owners whose repeatears are "open" do make their CTCSS tones available but sometimes their tones are changed due to a variety of reasons. When clubs link their repeaters quite often they will change their tones and this info isnt readily updated.

Any ham knows that if they scan for local repeaters, they can activate their tone search capability on almost all modern radios made in the last 12yrs and find the correct tone to access their repeaters.

If you are a scanner buff, well the tones are nice to know, but you dont need them.

I travel all around also and have no problems finding local repeaters, scanning their tones and accessing them to have a couple of qsos here and there.

George

jim202

Most repeater owners whose repeatears are "open" do make their CTCSS tones available but sometimes their tones are changed due to a variety of reasons. When clubs link their repeaters quite often they will change their tones and this info isnt readily updated.

Any ham knows that if they scan for local repeaters, they can activate their tone search capability on almost all modern radios made in the last 12yrs and find the correct tone to access their repeaters.

If you are a scanner buff, well the tones are nice to know, but you dont need them.

I travel all around also and have no problems finding local repeaters, scanning their tones and accessing them to have a couple of qsos here and there.

George

I have been using commercial radios for a long time now. They don't have your feature of scanning the tone squelch. Been a ham a real long time now and find the commonality of missing tone information to be the down side of databases.

If your using your tone scanning ability, then why are you not providing what you found to the different databases? If you don't help try to update this information, then your part of the problem.

gaburbano

Premium Subscriber
Assumptions....

I have been using commercial radios for a long time now. They don't have your feature of scanning the tone squelch. Been a ham a real long time now and find the commonality of missing tone information to be the down side of databases.

If your using your tone scanning ability, then why are you not providing what you found to the different databases? If you don't help try to update this information, then your part of the problem.

Ah yes the commercial radios? Ive also been a ham for along time and still dont understand the fascination that some hams have with commercial radios. Perhaps the fact that Ive worked for Emergency Services for the past 27yrs using and playing with motorola radios while at work all the time just doesnt put my interested there.
Commercial radios are a pain to program, cannot be programed on the fly, which means that they are not "really" ham-friendly. Like you said if you travel, then you cant find tones with them, and to program them you have to "pre-program" them which of-course leaves you at a disadvantage when information on ham repeaters isnt correct.

And dont make assumptions that I dont provide information on repeaters, cause I do. whenever I travel and find info wrong, I always email the "trustees" ask them if they can update their info, (many do, some don't) and ask them if I can update it on popular databases. Again some want their info updated some dont.

I belong to and support over a a dozen clubs from local throughout the areas that I travel, meet some local hams whenever I travel, have some coffee ( I even often treat) cause its nice to meet some of the people you speak to.

So if you want to be a ham be a ham. Use ham radios, which by the way are actually quite good and reliable nowadays. They are easy to program, they have tons of channels, their batteries have gotten better and better, and many can take a beating.And you wont have to rely on outdated ham repeater databases to find the tones ..

Please dont make assumptions, Im a ham radio operator for almost 20yrs, not as long as some of our other fellow hams, but quite active in almost every aspect as well as scanners, and a variety of digital modes. Im on HF, and own quite abit of radios and scanners.
In most cases, if youre traveling you can find a local ham where you are going, and just drop an email and they will give you a list of the local repeaters.
Updating or trying to keep an updated list on the large amount of repeaters throughout the country is a difficult task. Ask the guys of the Repeater Directory..

George
N2ZNC

bamx2

Premium Subscriber
I found one repeater listed as being off-air that I know is on-air. Otherwise, my test repeater searches came up clean.

Ref RepeaterBook.

They did seem to have accurate listings. The repeaters I couldn't bring up on a recent roadtrip were on the fringe of my dumb antenna set up.

I tried to change the status to on air of repeaters I could bring up, and could hear.

bamx2

Premium Subscriber
I also want to point out, I didn't and wouldn't want anyone to change the status to a repeater OFF-AIR with out concrete information. There were several I couldn't bring up, but there are a multitude of reasons on my side that could be, and only one on their side.

jim202

Ah yes the commercial radios? Ive also been a ham for along time and still dont understand the fascination that some hams have with commercial radios. Perhaps the fact that Ive worked for Emergency Services for the past 27yrs using and playing with motorola radios while at work all the time just doesnt put my interested there.
Commercial radios are a pain to program, cannot be programed on the fly, which means that they are not "really" ham-friendly. Like you said if you travel, then you cant find tones with them, and to program them you have to "pre-program" them which of-course leaves you at a disadvantage when information on ham repeaters isnt correct.

George
N2ZNC

Well my work does include working with many public safety and federal government radio systems. As ham gear is not type accepted to be used on part 90 channels, it has been much easier to just use Motorola and other brand radios in the vehicles I drive.

You have no idea just how many pre programmed ham channels you can stuff into an XTL5000 radio. The 05 control head provides just about all the flexibility you will ever need controlling the radio. By using zones, you can set up a zone for each of the regions that your traveling through. The multi PL feature does wonders for those repeaters that people don't want to take the time to update in the databases.

N9DUC

Thank you for each of your input and suggestions. I am trying to do this with as many resources as possible. So if any of you know where a repeater is located from first hand knowledge or being told from a reliable source please share.

I have been given several sites and run into the issues that have been being discussed.

I am going to keep looking for exact repeater locations so I can map out the repeater locations area me.

DiGiTaLD

The list of amateur radio repeaters that are currently coordinated by the Indiana Repeater Council can be found at: Repeater Directory Listing . Charlie Sears, the IRC Frequency Coordinator, keeps that list up-to-date with the IRC's coordinations.
HA! That's laughable! Do you have any idea how many repeaters they have coordinated that haven't been on the air in years? I can name about three in my own county. IRC doesn't have a clue.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Note that I said that the IRC web site lists coordinated repeaters. I said nothing about whether or not they were on the air.

There will be an IRC meeting at the Indianapolis Hamfest in July. Officers for 2014 will be elected. You are welcome to attend and share your ideas on how to improve the IRC's repeater listings.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.