Steuben County Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

angola_fire

Feed Provider
Wlki.com

$3 Million In Major Moves To Be Invested In New 911 System Tuesday Oct 13, 2015 1:02pm Steuben County Community Center • Angola, IN

By: Jim Measel

(ANGOLA) - Steuben County Commissioners agreed during a joint meeting with the Steuben County Council on Tuesday to invest $3 million in Major Moves funds in the new Motorola radio system.

The rest of the funding for the $9.3 million project will come through bonding.

With contingencies, the project could be as high as $10.2 million.

The County Council later decided following a discussion that lasted for almost an hour to pursue a general obligation bond that would not exceed $6.82 million and 10 years to help fund new radio system.

The new communications system would replace the much maligned Open Sky program.

Once the financing is in place, it is expected to take between six and nine months to install the new system.

radiochuck

Traffic Reporter
Premium Subscriber
Are they switching from the OpenSky system to the existing SAFE-T system or are they building an entirely new, autonomous system from the ground up?

radiochuck

Traffic Reporter
Premium Subscriber
It seems the project is moving forward. Here's Jim Measel's latest story...

ANGOLA, Ind. (WLKI) - Steuben County Commissioners approved a re-written contract with Motorola on Thursday in its "substantially final form" for the installation of a new emergency radio system.

Steuben County Communications Director Gary LeTourneau said the one major contract change under Indiana law covered the bidding out of the construction aspects of the project.

He estimated the costs to be about $300,000.

Either the county or Motorola will solicit the bids.

LeTourneau is scheduled to appear before the Steuben County Council on November 10th.

A 30 day remonstrance period will begin on November 17th.

The County has agreed to invest $3 million in Major Moves funds in the new Motorola radio system.

The rest of the funding for the $9.4 million project will come through bonding.

With contingencies, the project could be as high as $10.2 million.

The Steuben County Council decided during their last meeting to pursue a general obligation bond that would not exceed $6.82 million and 10 years to help fund new radio system.

The new communications system would replace the much maligned Open Sky Network.

Once the financing is in place, it is expected to take between six and nine months to install the new system.

radiochuck

Traffic Reporter
Premium Subscriber
Is there anything new to report on Steuben County Sheriff's Dept moving off of the OpenSky system? I've been out of state for a while and will be returning soon. Just wondering what was happening with the the radio changes there. Thanks.

radiochuck

Traffic Reporter
Premium Subscriber
I'm guessing they're not moving off of the OpenSky system, or they would have done so already. Can anyone confirm?

Garymaxon1234

radiochuck I don't think the state has changed to P-25 in that area yet, that may be the holdup.

c_snyder

Yeah Steuben is phase 5 which is running late. I would imagine they would join sometime after the transition is done.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Be ready in a few weeks to hear them on SAFE-T P25 if they have their system set up right, as the Phase 5 transition is in the very near future now.

djbrane

I'm guessing they're not moving off of the OpenSky system, or they would have done so already. Can anyone confirm?

They are still in the process of building the towers for the SAFE-T System. I was told they will not be ready to make the switch until late summer

kc9bxx

I have been Hearing Fremont and a few other fire departments on OPS-5 of the Safe-T system. I have been told that by the first to middle of June they are planning on making the move to statewide. I have also heard a few comments that they are going to go straight into the P25 phase 2 system, not sure on this.

I know there is at least one new tower up south of Fremont.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
I have been Hearing Fremont and a few other fire departments on OPS-5 of the Safe-T system. I have been told that by the first to middle of June they are planning on making the move to statewide. I have also heard a few comments that they are going to go straight into the P25 phase 2 system, not sure on this.

I know there is at least one new tower up south of Fremont.

Live by mid June Correct... Phase II.. Nope, not on SAFE-T for a couple more years before they even begin testing on some sites.

c_snyder

It will be Phase 1 when they do begin to utilize the statewide system.

The only Steuben County traffic I've heard so far is on ops 5 during severe weather.

kc9bxx

from what I am hearing,, EMA and EMS will use OPS 1-4, Fire OPS 5-8, and Law OPS 9-12.

So far I have hears a few fire departments going en-route and in service on OPS-5, and have heard some law traffic on OPS-9.

billythekid1

is steuben going to change over or they going to be 1 out of 92 co. knot going to change!!!! what awaste of tax pairs money

Status
Not open for further replies.