Scanner Reccomendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

edog535

Scanner Recommendations

I live along the Hamilton/Marion County border and I'm looking into purchasing a new scanner to monitor the Hoosier SAFE-T system along with the Hamilton and Marion county systems. Can anyone recommend what the best scanner to purchase to monitor these systems. Many thanks in advance.

Last edited:

N9IIT

For monitoring SAFE-T and IDPS System 1 (Marion County) - a Uniden 536, 436, 996p2, or Whistler TRX-1 or TRX-2 will do. IDPS System 3 (Hamilton County) is a simulcast system. I have a 436 and at my home or office where I am within a few miles of a tower it comes in good. When out with a mobile though I get a lot of chop and simulcast garble.
It seems once I drop below 96th Street the garble gets worse to the point its unmonitorable.

afdscan

I would recommend the Uniden BCD325P2. It does a remarkable job of decoding and tracking the IDPS System 3. It performs well and it's the most affordable Uniden Phase 2 scanner. I live in Madison county where the IDPS 4 is used and it out performs both my BCD436 and my TRX-1. Plus, it's lightweight and easier fits in your shirt pocket.

Status
Not open for further replies.