Vanderburgh County P25 Begins Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

lviper

Premium Subscriber
I have the system programmed but haven't heard anything yet during my 30 minute drive to and from work. Probably expected since they probably aren't testing that early in the morning and may be done for the day when I drive home.

Just to be sure since I've never programmed a simulcast system, I assume I just program this system just like the SAFE-T system except all the frequencies listed go under one single site. Is that correct?

KD4YGG

Database Admin
Correct - all frequencies listed should be programmed into one single site

Since this is a Harris P25 system, any of the system frequencies can be assigned as the control channel.

troymail

Silent Key
From the database listing here, it looks like a single site -- given it's a Harris P25 system, you need to make sure all frequencies are programmed.

But more importantly, given it is a Harris simulcast system, from my experience, it's could be really hard for your scanner to receive. You'll probably want to look at the indicators ("DAT"?) of how well you are receiving the control channel.

Also, obviously, being a new system, running ID Search, etc. looking for new talkgroups.

Depending upon what you hear (or don't), given it is supposed to be P25 Phase 1, you might try programming the frequencies as conventional channels just to see if you hear any voice (or anything other than the control channel).

Hopefully, I'm completely wrong and you'll receive the system without any issues....

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber
This is a Harris 3 site phase 1 system.

The Main site is the only one on right now.

lviper

Premium Subscriber
Correct - all frequencies listed should be programmed into one single site

Since this is a Harris P25 system, any of the system frequencies can be assigned as the control channel.

Thanks for the clarification.

From the database listing here, it looks like a single site -- given it's a Harris P25 system, you need to make sure all frequencies are programmed.

But more importantly, given it is a Harris simulcast system, from my experience, it's could be really hard for your scanner to receive. You'll probably want to look at the indicators ("DAT"?) of how well you are receiving the control channel.

Also, obviously, being a new system, running ID Search, etc. looking for new talkgroups.

Depending upon what you hear (or don't), given it is supposed to be P25 Phase 1, you might try programming the frequencies as conventional channels just to see if you hear any voice (or anything other than the control channel).

Hopefully, I'm completely wrong and you'll receive the system without any issues....

Thanks for the extra information. I've actually been thinking about getting a new scanner but I was waiting to see if my current scanner can handle the site.

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber
lviper, all sites seem to be on and they are mapping one or two maybe more at times TG over.

Meaning from EDACS thru gateway to P25.

For me the P25 signal is very strong compared to Edacs, could be good or bad think depending on your scanner and location.
But program you Bearcats with P25 system freq as listed and you will hear some traffic.

lviper

Premium Subscriber
lviper, all sites seem to be on and they are mapping one or two maybe more at times TG over.

Meaning from EDACS thru gateway to P25.

For me the P25 signal is very strong compared to Edacs, could be good or bad think depending on your scanner and location.
But program you Bearcats with P25 system freq as listed and you will hear some traffic.

Thanks. I mainly only listen during my drive to and from work, so maybe 20 to 30 minutes each in the morning and evening. The EDACS system is usually very busy for me on my drive home so maybe I'll start hearing something tonight or soon.

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber
My mistake ALL 3 sites are on and have been.

QUOTE=trido;2850218]This is a Harris 3 site phase 1 system.

The Main site is the only one on right now.[/QUOTE]

lviper

Premium Subscriber
Just wanted to report back that while I am hearing traffic on the new system, the sound isn't all that great. I'm still tweaking the P25 settings but the sound I'm hearing is hard to describe.

The voices sound very digitized, sort of muffled. Just not very clear. Certainly not as clear as the EDACS system. Deeper more bass like sounding.

I didn't know if there was a setting to help with this or if I should be looking for a newer scanner. I ask because the new SAFE-T system also sounds a little muffled but no where near as much as VCPS. But the new safe-t is more muffled than the old safe-t system.

Any of you guys out there using a bcd-396t and want to share their settings?

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber
I think a lot of this is because we are hearing Edacs radios going thru a gateway link out to P-25.
It does sound poor.

One thing and I will say this is very early on,I am not getting TOO MUCH simulcast receive issues with several scanners I am testing.

[

QUOTE=lviper;2852551]Just wanted to report back that while I am hearing traffic on the new system, the sound isn't all that great. I'm still tweaking the P25 settings but the sound I'm hearing is hard to describe.

The voices sound very digitized, sort of muffled. Just not very clear. Certainly not as clear as the EDACS system. Deeper more bass like sounding.

I didn't know if there was a setting to help with this or if I should be looking for a newer scanner. I ask because the new SAFE-T system also sounds a little muffled but no where near as much as VCPS. But the new safe-t is more muffled than the old safe-t system.

Any of you guys out there using a bcd-396t and want to share their settings?[/QUOTE]

troymail

Silent Key
Patches - particularly analog to digital - usually sound really bad.

Also - if you have been listening to analog for a long time, at first, "good digital" might sound muffled and voices will just not sound the same (although over time you will clearly hear differences and be able to tell one voice from another). Over time, digital will start to sound better and better as your ear "tunes" to the change. Over time and in the end, assuming good reception (and hopefully NOT simulcast distortion), you learn to hate analog - particularly in cases when you get poor analog reception and/or static is introduced into the signal.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
I run the NEW P25 system on ProScan RSOIP along with the EDACS feed. It isn't on all the time but I leave it on mostly all night!

lviper

Premium Subscriber
I've been reading the wiki and tried some settings which really seems to help. For starters I monitored the system's P25 threshold which I had set to 8 Auto. I found it leveled out at 7 every time so I set the system to 7 Manual and the sound is a lot better. I then tried turning off the AGC and that also has seemed to help.

My problem is I mostly only listen to it during my commute. I don't listen that much at home because I'm almost too far to pick up the system. So this has been a go home, make changes and wait till morning commute to hear the difference.

I think I might be good for now. I will wait till the dust settles and the system is past testing before I get too picky.

nd5y

FYI they installed a Harris P25 system in my town in 2016 (converted EDACS to P25).
I observed the following:

Talkgroup IDs in the 64000-64999 range were something used during system installation and testing. They disappeared after a few months.

Talkgroup IDs in the 65000-65535 range are temporary patch talkgroups dynamically generated by the system and should never be submitted to the database.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
FYI they installed a Harris P25 system in my town in 2016 (converted EDACS to P25).

Talkgroup IDs in the 64000-64999 range were something used during system installation and testing. They disappeared after a few months.

Talkgroup IDs in the 65000-65535 range are temporary patch talkgroups dynamically generated by the system and should never be submitted to the database.

TGs on this system are like 232, 501, 401.....

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber
Last night we heard TG 65112 it was a patched TG.
Note the Unication G4 was hearing this patch just fine, to my surprise as I thought i read Unication cant handle Harris patch?

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber
Scanner testing so far in Evansville

New Harris P-25 phase 1 system.
I will say so far no users on the P-25 side, what they are doing is all users still on Edacs but system has a Harris gateway to P-25.

Simple terms EDACS in and P-25 out the 3 site simulcast system.

A couple of us have been testing scanners the last two weeks.
At first most any digital scanner was doing OK.
However we both feel something has changed on this new Harris P-25 phase 1 system.
All our Uniden models plus Whistler TRX-1 are missing traffic at times.
Sometimes the start of a dispatch other complete mixes dipatcher and mobiles.
Dreaded Simulcast issue and it being HARRIS.
Only radio that works and works well Unication G4 and G5.

Well no real surprise but had hoped only being a 3 site system we might not have this issue.

Sadly we do.

Status
Not open for further replies.