Security guard :Illegal use of radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

scanmanmi

This is super interesting

So according to the video they got him on 7(a)(1) . Indianapolis area is a state P25 system I believe. I HIGHLY doubt he actually had a real police radio. If he had a CCR it wouldn't be able to transmit or even receive this. Sounds like he had a pocket scanner. I wish there was a way to find out and keep abreast of this. They'll maybe drop that count or we will all be guilty of having police radios.

IC 35-44.1-2-7Unlawful use of a police radio

Sec. 7. (a) A person who knowingly or intentionally:

(1) possesses a police radio;

(2) transmits over a frequency assigned for police emergency purposes; or

(3) possesses or uses a police radio:

(A) while committing a crime;

(B) to further the commission of a crime; or

(C) to avoid detection by a law enforcement agency;

Voyager

Not only that. They got him on:

Criminal confinement (felony)
Impersonation of a public servant (felony)
Unlawful use of body armor (felony)
Unlawful use of a police radio (misdemeanor)

Taking them in reverse order, IF he had a police radio, and it was on the IMPD system, who authorized it? As mentioned, that is a trunked system. Odds are he only had a scanner (charge dropped EXCEPT that it may have been used to further a crime which is a different and NOT claimed violation).

Unlawful use of body armor - I know Chicago has banned body armor. Maybe Indiana has also? But what is wrong with wearing protection? (especially when working security AND carrying a gun - people WILL shoot back) Would those who passed the law be liable if he were fatally shot because he could not wear protection? If he was authorized to carry a gun, it makes sense he can use defensive measures as well as offensive.

Impersonation of a public servant - This is the meat. If he initiated a traffic stop, and detained her, case closed. He also asked for her driver's license. I don't know about Indy law, but in PA that is illegal unless you are authorized to do so. Police and bartenders are authorized. Not sure about others, but not everyone can do that. I have to love the title of this law. You cannot impersonate a garbage collector?

Criminal confinement - another big one. This an the impersonation are where they are going to nail him.

I have to wonder what color flashing lights were used. Apparently nothing of any significance since that will almost always be another charge (use of unauthorized lights).

I_am_Alpha1

Not to condone his alleged behavior. I find it, well just stupid, that we have such different laws in this nation. It's supposed to the the United States. Laws differ greatly between the states and within them as well. What this guy is being charged with is not even a crime in some states. Private security can detain you, ID you, handcuff you, etc on private property in some states...all while wearing body armor, a sidearm, and a radio/scanner. Hi capacity ammunition dispensing devices are a felony in some states and in others they hang on the wall of stores where kids can get them. Just depends on where you live. Again, not saying this guy was right, but the charges are stupid...just charge him with felony stupid and be done with it.

GTO_04

They probably filed so many charges because they need to have something to plea bargain with. And they WILL plea bargain on this one. It's what prosecutors do!

GTO_04

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
If you follow the law to the letter in IN.. Having a scanner app on a cell phone, pod/pad,laptop etc IS ILLEGAL without an Ham ticket. This issue is covered in the media very well TYVM. It just has YET to get tested in the courts. But fear not, it IS coming to an IN courtroom in near future. Too many idiots doing too much stupid lately for it not to get tested...

If this genius had a combo of red/white/blue flashers then he gets that charge too. Other colors will not get you popped. But that combo of red clear/white blue is Law Enforcement ONLY in IN.

And yes, want ONE charge to stick? File minimum of SIX! Public Pretenders.... Er em I mean Defenders do three things, and ONLY three things...
Get charges dropped if possible. If not DELAY, DELAY, DELAY!
Get Plea Bargains.
Get as much reduction as possible.

Prosecutors are to get one of two things off you ...
MONEY
JAIL
Or BOTH. PERIOD!
If they can not guarantee you can get as near maximum of the MIN/MAX on a case involving jail time, they go PB, and will fight as hard as they can for as hard a time as they can get you.. UNLESS your a pawn to bigger game.
Or they will set you up for as LONG as possible on parole/probation/work release etc so you pay the State money for as long as possible.
Or Restitution FINES....
Or all the above as long as someway the STATE profits.

And always remember, once your charged and it is not dismissed,... You are NEVER innocent again. You can NOT be found INNOCENT so not sure where that lie comes from. You can be found NOT GUILTY, or GUILTY, or some other variation of forms of error based rulings. So think before you act.

Last edited by a moderator:

Voyager

If this genius had a combo of red/white/blue flashers then he gets that charge too. Other colors will not get you popped.

Red only or blue only is not illegal in IN? (bonefied PS users aside)

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
I have seen Contractors with red and blue leds so there is some loopholes somewhere. But ISP and most LEAs statewide put out PSAs regularly to inform the general public what to look for if a vehicle tries to stop you. If it does not have that combination of lights going, do not stop. And if a vehicle has that combination going, it better be LEO or they will meet handcuffs.
LEA have red/blue with clear/white in the mix somewhere. The only ones I have seen that do not have the clear/white in the mix are detectives or the like that do NOT make stops.
Fire/EMS here are red/red, red/clear, and red and amber or blue or clear on rear. DOT Motorist Assistance red/clear red/amber. DPW amber/clear, and in special cases green if they get state clearance.

Note *No State Law spot about the white/clear with the red/blue but I think this was added to help fight the impersonators when the new LED technology evolved.*

http://www.in.gov/dhs/files/driving_laws.pdf

Voyager

Clear as mud. The description talks about blue, but I don't see it in the law. But it does restrict red/amber/white/yellow/green. There are exceptions which I would think be OEM lights.

If it does not have that combination of lights going, do not stop.

I wonder how many times that PSA has caused a motorist to not yield to a Red/Clear fire vehicle.

In PA, if it has red, you must yield. PD can be red or red/blue. FD is red only (only certain officers and department vehicles). Clear is optional on any of these, as is yellow.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
The PSA are SPECIFIC to LEA pulling you over. If it is a vehicle trying to pull you over for an full stop, and it does not have the right color lights, do not stop for it. Even if it IS the legit warning lights, and you are not in a safe situation, do not stop. Continue at legal safe speed to an safe place and then pull over. Lets not act like we have not heard this advice a million times.

Voyager

And you know if they are trying to pull you over for a full stop before you pull over how?

In PA you are required to pull over for any emergency vehicle whether it's stopping you or not.

But, many laws are now being pushed to be ignored, so I guess I should not be surprised.

Maybe they should just do away with traffic stops and mail the ticket to the owner of the car. After all, it doesn't matter who was driving. It is the car that was at fault.

c_snyder

Some states that I know of (Pennsylvania specifically comes to mind) have a ban on all interior lighting unless you're a LEO. Doesn't matter if you're a firefighter, contractor or what else, LED light bars inside the vehicle no matter what color are not allowed to be used or mounted. Even a non functional light bar on the visor or inside against the glass would get you stopped.

If I remember correctly it had something to do with the illusion of impersonating an officer. The officers making the stops used the excuse that it made your vehicle look like an undercover or detective type vehicle to the general public.

Here in indiana construction vehicles and plow trucks run white / amber leds all over the place with no problem. I guess it's just state specific.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
State DOT Plows have red as well as amber flashers on rear, same kind the Hoosier Helpers have.
And YES each state has its OWN laws regarding emergency lighting and siren use. (Still amazes me Hoosier Helpers get full use of sirens.)

Voyager

Some states that I know of (Pennsylvania specifically comes to mind) have a ban on all interior lighting unless you're a LEO. Doesn't matter if you're a firefighter, contractor or what else, LED light bars inside the vehicle no matter what color are not allowed to be used or mounted.

If I remember correctly it had something to do with the illusion of impersonating an officer. The officers making the stops used the excuse that it made your vehicle look like an undercover or detective type vehicle to the general public.

Your info is out of date. Interior lights are legal in PA. There was a short period when they were reportedly not, but that was changed again. It likely had a lot to do with the number of legitimate users it made illegal.

There may be other states where this is still true, but as for PA it most definitely was changed again.

You have to love the argument that it makes your car look like a car that is made to look like it's not a police car. (say whaaaaa....???)

I suppose anyone driving a Crown Vic, Taurus, or Explorer would be guilty, too. In fact some departments use nearly any vehicle as an undercover car - even old beaters. Fact is that it's not impersonation without red and blue lights even though police (in PA) can use only red, too (as can others).

Last edited:

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Folks, this is an Indiana forum. State of Indiana, that is.

If you want to discuss Pennsylvania law, please do so in the Pennsylvania forum. Repeated references to PA law really do nothing to explain the legality or illegality of what this guy did in the State of Indiana.

Voyager

It's pointless since the article didn't mention what color of lights are involved. The best we can do is speculate and cite various comparable laws. The IN light law is clear as mud, so maybe that's why he wasn't charged with that. It says he used lights, but didn't specify the color (or even the legality of said use).

As I said in my first reply: I have to wonder what color flashing lights were used. Apparently nothing of any significance since that will almost always be another charge (use of unauthorized lights).

c_snyder

My apologizes it's been awhile since I had heard anything about that. I'm glad to see it's different now.

As for this guy, i'm sure he will get the impersonation charge and some probation time. It sounds like he has a past of borderline behavior. If you want to be a police officer, he should have just put in the time to do it. Although I do feel like private security gets a bad rap some times as wanna be police. They have a job segment in society too and are definitely needed. Many former government or military personnel make up a big part of the security community.

Last edited:

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
It still amazes the hell out of me...cops getting shot and assaulted, and imbeciles like this go out for impersonation. Amazing

Status
Not open for further replies.