Marion County Public Safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogerc02

Premium Subscriber
I just moved to Indy and I am trying to listen to IFD, etc. I am unable to pick up anything with my BCD396XT. I live on the 8th floor of an apartment building in the city and I've reviewed the troubleshooting with regards to simulcast distortion. My control channels are silent even with squelch at zero, but I can see when an id is transmitting. I've also tried listening to all four sites with no luck. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I appreciate the help.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
3 ideas: 1 open that squelch up. Too tight can cause more problems than open on simulcasts. I would run an minimum of 3 on the squelch. (Which is what I run with very little distortion.) 2 get an actual 800 MHz antenna. I do find it hard to believe your not getting at least 3 to 4 bars in the downtown area. Are you sure you have S1 set up right, as that is the one Public Safety uses? 3 Check all your digital decode settings. What software are you using to set the scanner up? FreeSCAN, ProSCAN, ARCXT?

Last edited by a moderator:
I just verified the database info in the Sentry program works on a BC436HP. I did delete all non control channel freqs from the system 1 list.
I don't have my 396T to verify the settings on that model.

this is my system 1 list

I set Hamilton, Madison and system 2 to avoid.

rogerc02

Premium Subscriber
MILF, Speedway,

Thank you for getting back to me. I am using FreeScan, which I've used for years with success when I lived in Cincinnati monitoring Hamilton Co. To my knowledge, I am programming System 1 properly. I am using the control channels you mentioned and I opened the squelch back up. I notice that the signal bounces between full and zero rapidly as it searches for the control channel. My next test will be to take it out of the building and see what it does on the street. I've never had a problem with the stock antenna before, but I will look in to getting an 800 specific antenna as well. The thing that puzzles me is that I able to see id's key up on the control channel,but I get no sound/voice.
Thanks again for your help.

Chad

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Which part of INDY are you in? If you send me your email addy I can send you a copy of my set up and see if it works for you? With S3, unless your pretty close to the Marion/Hamilton County line (At least up past 42nd Street) picking the Hamilton County simulcast up will be tricky. S2 is hard on almost every scanner but I do get good success on the BCD436HP on that bad boy. S4, you absolutely will need to be close to Madison County to do anything with it. I would say PM me, but you have not cleared the minimum post limit to do PMs... (10) is that magic number I believe.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Okay, The second email I sent has the .996 file in it. That first was one I have in my PRO-96. I am at the fun little area of Roache/27th/Rader. So about just as far North as you, but a tad West.

have you tried programming in the control channels as standard carrier squelch non trunked freqs?
That will tell you if you have good enough signal for the radio to decode the data stream.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Its the building. He set up with my file, and went outside. Bingo he was getting the system. So he will need to get a good antenna for indoor use. Remtronix would be best bet as he is in an apartment and lease agreements usually frown on you sticking up an yagi on a pole on the building. :)

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber
Be sure after freescan imports system that BOTH system and the SITE are P/25 and not MOTOtypeII/P25

freescan for me always imports system as MOTO and I have to manually change to P25 please double check that.

Status
Not open for further replies.