St. Joe county site map.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCOTTER

Does anybody have or can tell me where to find a updated site map of this LSM hell hole county ? My 436 was at about 70 % decode and then dropped to about 55 % 2 weeks ago and I was thinking a new site might have come on. Thanks

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Talking about SAFE-T? https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?action=siteFCCMap&siteId=24667

That is all that is on the current FCC licenses for the simulcast. As far as I know, only Elkhart, INDOC sites, and one or two down South are being tweaked/worked on right now.... Though it is possible they found a issue and made some tweaks up there too.

Last edited by a moderator:

SCOTTER

Thank you milf.The map has got me thinking about a yagi antenna.If you look at the map I live south of the downtown South Bend site down bus.31 at Ireland and Miami by Erskine park golf course the green square on the map.The downtown site was the CC before the LSM crap I was down there yesterday and my 436 was like a new toy nothing but 0 err rates even on auto. I also see a site 2 miles to my east so would you point the antenna at the main site 3 miles away or the other one thats 2 miles away? That is if the downtown site is still the main site. I would think downtown is stronger or dont it matter anyone know?

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
With an LSM system all towers are equal. That's kinda the problem that scanners have. All some strength same signal at same time. The 436 and 536 do a good job compared to say an 250 etc... But its the closest one you need to try to lock onto. Being in between is bad. The closer you are to one the better. Or yagi directional ant that will zero in on one more than others.

vocoder

Does anybody have or can tell me where to find a updated site map of this LSM hell hole county ? My 436 was at about 70 % decode and then dropped to about 55 % 2 weeks ago and I was thinking a new site might have come on. Thanks

scotter, we were having troubles with st joseph co simulcast also, but not anymore.
I sent you a pm.

jel250

Talking about SAFE-T? https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?action=siteFCCMap&siteId=24667

That is all that is on the current FCC licenses for the simulcast. As far as I know, only Elkhart, INDOC sites, and one or two down South are being tweaked/worked on right now.... Though it is possible they found a issue and made some tweaks up there too.

The Elkhart tower is being worked on??? That could possibly explain why Mishawaka PD (and sometimes South Bend PD) keep dropping off the freaking grid on my scanner/stream... I've been going crazy over the past 3 days! I'd love to just stick with the St. Joseph County simulcast but it sucks! Choppy and error rates to high hell, my directional Yagi antenna doesn't seem to make a difference... :(

vocoder

We were having problems receiving st joseph county simulcast using a yagi and not far from a site. We found a decent priced unication g4 on ebay and now simulcast troubles are gone. And now set g4's up for pd's and fd's over there. We used the site map and took the g4 for a cruz, it works great all around.

jel250

We were having problems receiving st joseph county simulcast using a yagi and not far from a site. We found a decent priced unication g4 on ebay and now simulcast troubles are gone. And now set g4's up for pd's and fd's over there. We used the site map and took the g4 for a cruz, it works great all around.

Not gonna lie, I was actually looking at that exact same thing last night. The problem is, I've already spent over $2k on everything I'm currently using to run my 3 streams...

Unfortunately, I can't really justify spending a crap-load more for something that pays nothing and actually costs me way more than a premium subscription would cost yearly (e.g. electric bill to run 3 scanners and a pc 24/7/365). :(

vocoder

Ouch! Yep, the whole money thing stinks.

And now i have come to the conclusion, this is the last thing i need to buy, simulcastwise.

What do you currently use on the simulcast?

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Just remember that when we switch over to Phase II.. Those Unications you have that are not TDMA ready... Ebay.. Cause you have to get the newest ones with the TDMA set up. That or get an SDS100 or 2 and give them a whirl.

SCOTTER

Funny you mentioned the Elkhart tower thats my go to site when I cant stand the South Bend LSM crap and I get 1 bar if im lucky for some clear SBPD traffic but then it goes in and out and I go back to the South Bend towers but I get 3 to 4 bars on the Summerville Michigan site and pick up all of southwest MI crystal clear and thats 41 miles away I just dont get it.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Yes the 436 will work fine on TDMA, depending on system reception etc... If you have not too bad issues on it as P1, then it will be just the same on P2. Every Simulcast SIte, or System is unique in how it is set up and effects scanners. Some 3 cell LSMs cause nightmares where an 9 cell site may not cause but a few glitches. Also it depends on the antenna array used on each cell in the site. Directional focus of the antenna etc... That St Joseph one is a funny alignment. It has some that are very directional, some that are more locational, and a few that are more traditional area coverage. Completely different from the simulcast set ups we have on IDPS... Which are dual ring types. An inner base layer and then an outer (ring) that focuses on some outer area coverage, but more for in County than out of it... With maybe one or two shared sites to give corridors of overlap...

SO while my 396XT, and 436HP work very good on our simulcast here, and have some issues sometimes on the Hendricks County SAFE-T Simulcast as it is also a little different in its configuration, I would most likely have to set up a completely different threshold level etc up there to compensate.

Last edited by a moderator:

trido

Retired
Premium Subscriber
Just remember that when we switch over to Phase II.. Those Unications you have that are not TDMA ready... Ebay.. Cause you have to get the newest ones with the TDMA set up. That or get an SDS100 or 2 and give them a whirl.

Milf is Phase II still 5 years out?

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Testing is still to begin next year on certian sites... And yeah 4 to 6 years for widespread use. 2020 they hope to have entire system capable. But as stated many times, this is a state system, expect delays. LOL

vocoder

Anyone try the new SDS100 on this county or hear of anyone that has? It would be a good area to see how it performs.

I have been using mine to listen to it, it is sometimes hit or miss. Especially when the work is being done on the sites. Better than hp though. But the unication does not seem to mind the site work. It kept on working Despite busy moto techs! Still the best choice for st joseph co simulcast!

Last edited:

jel250

Funny you mentioned the Elkhart tower thats my go to site when I cant stand the South Bend LSM crap and I get 1 bar if im lucky for some clear SBPD traffic but then it goes in and out and I go back to the South Bend towers but I get 3 to 4 bars on the Summerville Michigan site and pick up all of southwest MI crystal clear and thats 41 miles away I just dont get it.

Is it just me or is the Elkhart tower totally dead right now???

Status
Not open for further replies.