How is IMPD dispatched?

Status
Not open for further replies.

del1964

Premium Subscriber
I am new to Marion county and I know there's different IMPD districts. I hear comms saying for example "Man with a gun". "blah blah blah East", "blah blah blah South" Where "blah blah blah" is a number. Is this grid system equal for all of Marion county? Where is the center? Does the "center 0,0" change per district? Is there an easy way to quickly look up the location on a smartphone? Is there an IMPD map showing the NSEW grid system they use?

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Each district is divided into subsections. 10, 20, 30 etc... Each district has an "Troop" so to speak assigned to it. Adam, Baker, Charlie, David, Edward, and Frank. Each subsection is assigned from 3 to 6 officers as their beat each shift. Each of the small towns that is now under IMPD is dispatched and patrols on the district it is in. Example: Beech Grove is in SE District, and is dispatched by IMPD SE Control. (Thy used to have their own dispatch center for BGPD and BGFD, but that was closed as one of the final parts of the merger into IMPD centralized dispatching. )

Over it all is an actual Primary Dispatcher who can dispatch all districts and towns under IMPD umbrella, with each district having its own Controller and the Sheriff also having its own Controller.

Almost all of IN is using the GPS coordinates based on a system much like Utah does with one point being the center of the map... For us, it is pretty much the intersection of Washington St, and Meridian St. North is North of Washington. South is South of Washington. East is East of Meridian. West is West of Meridian. IFEMS does it in a very similar method.

To an IMPD or MCSO, or IFEMS GPS unit, Indianapolis IS the center of the world. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The numbers you hear dispatch giving for locations are based on the house numbering system for the county. 0-0 is Washington and Meridian.

For example, the intersection of High School Road and West 10th Street is 6300 West and 1000 North. All of Marion County uses the same numbering system no matter what community you are in.

Of course, if you are outside the county, things are different depending on that county.

INDY72

Better say that is ALL of the local area. Hamilton, Hendricks, Hancock... The street numbering and such extend well out into the other counties from Indy. This is the most obvious in Hamilton County. If you start out at Washington and Meridian, and go North... Look at the street numbering... From 10th up.... Once you get up around the magic 100 number, your crossing into HamCo... And keep going North, all the way pretty much to the Northern County line of Hamco.. What number are you crossing on 31 (which is what Meridian becomes once your in HamCo)? To go to say, Arcadia, you turn right on East 266TH.... Which turns into Main St in Arcadia. And as far as I can tell, this system is standard statewide from the huge mailing lists I have to compile every couple of years. And as I said earlier, the only other state to go this out there this way is Utah. Where SLC is the center of the universe.

del1964

Premium Subscriber
Found these maps dated 2012..... Think it shows well the districts and the whole NSEW thing I was wondering about..... see attached images.

So I am in the SE50 zone between 6000S / 9000S and 0EW / 5100E

Attachments

• IMPD Districts.JPG
    IMPD Districts.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 212
  • impd zone boundaries.jpg
    impd zone boundaries.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 220

N9IIT

Better say that is ALL of the local area. Hamilton, Hendricks, Hancock... The street numbering and such extend well out into the other counties from Indy. This is the most obvious in Hamilton County. If you start out at Washington and Meridian, and go North... Look at the street numbering... From 10th up.... Once you get up around the magic 100 number, your crossing into HamCo... And keep going North, all the way pretty much to the Northern County line of Hamco.. What number are you crossing on 31 (which is what Meridian becomes once your in HamCo)? To go to say, Arcadia, you turn right on East 266TH.... Which turns into Main St in Arcadia. And as far as I can tell, this system is standard statewide

Hamilton starts at 96th Street in Carmel/Fishers and goes up to 296th Street which meets CR600 South in Tipton County. Unlike Marion and surrounding counties, there is no "south" in County addressing in HamCo. There's South in the old City/Town addresses in some of the cities and towns. The east/west line is Meridian Street (US 31) up to about Main Street Carmel where it curves east towards Westfield. At that point going North its an imaginary line that runs about halfway between Oak Ridge Rd and Spring Mill Rd. As far as I know this is the only county in Indiana where the addressing grid is based in essence on another county's addressing grid.

More counties (but not all) particularly the northern (ie flatter) part of the state are on the N/S/E/W grid for addresses. Down South in hilly Southern Indiana - not so much. I can't think of a single county on grid addressing south of US 50.

Once you learn the grid layout and where the major streets lie (Sherman = 3800 E, Emerson = 5000 E, Shadeland = 7000 E, etc) Indianapolis is actually quite easy to navigate.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Better say that is ALL of the local area. Hamilton, Hendricks, Hancock... The street numbering and such extend well out into the other counties from Indy.
The Indianapolis house numbering system does not extend into Hendricks County. That said, there are some Indianapolis ZIP Codes that extend into Hendricks County, but the house numbering is based on the Hendricks County center point.

Indianapolis street numbers, which only exist from 9th Street to the north, into Hamilton County is generally not repeated in the surrounding counties. There are, of course, exceptions. 56th Street in Marion County becomes CR 600 N at the Hendricks County line but goes back to 56th Street in the Brownsburg town limits.

INDY72

Speaking of dispatching: Apparently fairly recently, they changed the Site NAC of HamCo to the exact same as MadCo. Not sure why that is. But that was submitted and unless I get new data that its back to the original NAC is changed in the DB.

Pittsboro is in the process of changing some street names and addresses. The county planning commission has raised the issue of non standard numbering. Frontage road north of 74 between Jeff Gordon and 150E is now west Commerce way since the town annexed some of the parcels there for the new Fleece building.

The county is concerned that a west designation might cause a problem since it's east of Washington.
Homes on Wall street east of Quail Creek will be renumbered to use the same 3 digit scheme used from Meridian eastward.

INDY72

Earlier this year IMPD went back to beats and did away with the zone policing.

And yet they still use it daily on every call. Beats are just the same zones broken down into subsections. Instead of 10, 20, 30... You now have 10, 11, 12, 13 etc.. 20, 21, 22, 23 etc. A Scotty quote from a certain Star Trek movie fits with how this is done.... "Aye sir, the more they overtech the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain." And the band plays on.

exdry14

And yet they still use it daily on every call. Beats are just the same zones broken down into subsections. Instead of 10, 20, 30... You now have 10, 11, 12, 13 etc.. 20, 21, 22, 23 etc. A Scotty quote from a certain Star Trek movie fits with how this is done.... "Aye sir, the more they overtech the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain." And the band plays on.

not exactly correct...examble MSE no longer has any 50's cars..what use to be pretty much zone 50 is now beats 31,32,33,34

Status
Not open for further replies.