• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

trunking question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aircargo

Premium Subscriber
ok...if i put a talk group like troop "b" from my state highway in a bank. load id's..freqs. .......9 freqs. in troop "b" (works good)

can i load troop "c" and others in same bank......like can i load 2-3 different talk-groups in same bank....? can i load 2-3 different talk-groups in same bank...i wanted to load all the troops in 1 bank...a-b-c-d troops...they have different freqs. different talk groups!

im still trying to get hang of it so...any help would be great.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
You can set the scanner up with plan 1 CC only and enter the freqs with associated text tags into one bank. Keep in mind the scanner will only track one CC at a time, but if the other two Troops are out of range it won’t matter. You will need all four CC’s of each Troop due to rotation of CC’s. Also leave 2 or 3 blank spots between each set of four CC’s and set Plan 1 in CC only.

CC Troop A

CC Troop B

CC Troop C

Setting the Talkgroups will be a greater challenge. Ten scanlists of 10 TG’s each should be enough, but of course you can’t program all that are available but each group can use three list (30 TG’s) leaving one additional list for your main location. Or you could have each Troop setup with 33 TG’s. If you scan in ID Scan mode, simply lockout the unused lists.

Aircargo

Premium Subscriber
im getting confused a little about the id's as well...under certain frequences like for troop b for instance in my area (8-10 in all) . i put in the id and then alpha tag them...by putting those id in...does it mean ill pick it up...or will i pick up signal anyway without knowing who it is if alpha isnt complete?

cc plan 1...explain that please.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Aircargo said:
im getting confused a little about the id's as well...under certain frequences like for troop b for instance in my area (8-10 in all) . i put in the id and then alpha tag them...by putting those id in...does it mean ill pick it up...or will i pick up signal anyway without knowing who it is if alpha isnt complete?

If you have the ID’s programmed you will be able to scan in the ID SCAN mode which allows for scanning only those unlocked programmed ID’s. With a Text Alpha Tag, you can keep better track of what the talkgroup is. If you scan in ID SEARCH mode, all ID’s of the system will function but only those ID’s that have an Alpha Tag programmed will have text on line 3.

Aircargo said:
cc plan 1...explain that please.
The BC radios need a plan set if scanning in CC only Mode. To set the Plan, press MENU, 2, 2, ENTER, then rotate VFO to CNTRL CH ONLY and Press ENTER, 1, then SCAN or SRCH depending on which scan mode you desire. Look under Motorola reception>Control Channel only Mode in your owners manual for details.

Aircargo

Premium Subscriber
YOU SAID "all id's of the system will function."...what exactly do u mean....under those 13 trunked frequences i put in... i can pick up all those id's (about 100) without programing it in....and...if theres traffic on a certain freq....I WILL pick it up regardless,no?...as long as those main 13 freq. are in...OR...do i have to put id's NUMBERS IN TO RECEIVE SIGNALs.? the alpha part i understand...its the system im trying to figure out...or the radio...how it works and to better understand....thanks 4 help sir....

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Aircargo said:
YOU SAID "all id's of the system will function."...what exactly do u mean....
Assume you are in Troop B area—If you scan ID SEARCH mode, every push to talk (PTT) will cause your scanner to stop scanning and display 4 lines of info during the transmissions.
Aircargo said:
under those 13 trunked frequences i put in... i can pick up all those id's (about 100) without programing it in....and...if theres traffic on a certain freq....
The PTT trips the CC, which assigns the freq for the communications and indicates to the CC, which Talkgroup is in use.
In ID SEARCH mode
Talkgroup ID is displayed on line 1 (MX-X:XXXXX)
Freq is displayed on line 2
Bank Scan List on line 3
System Alpha Tag on line 4

In ID SCAN mode
Talkgroup ID is displayed on line 1 (MX-X:XXXXX)
Freq is displayed on line 2
Talkgroup Alpha Tag on line 3
ScanList Alpha Tag on line 4 or System Tag if no ScanList Tag assigned.

Note: ID SEARCH mode, all Talkgroup ID in the system will cause the scanner to stop on their PTT signal to the CC.
ID SCAN mode, only Talkgroup ID’s programmed and unlocked will cause the scanner to stop with the PTT signal to the CC. An Alpha Tag programmed with any ID will be displayed on line 3 instead of the System Alpha Tag.

Aircargo said:
I WILL pick it up regardless,no?
You will pick them up, Yes…

Aircargo said:
...as long as those main 13 freq. are in...OR...do i have to put id's NUMBERS IN TO RECEIVE SIGNALs.? the alpha part i understand...its the system im trying to figure out...or the radio...how it works and to better understand....
You need programmed ID’s for scanning ID SCAN mode only (BTW, this is termed as CLOSED mode on the GRE Scanners).

Aircargo said:
thanks 4 help sir....
Glad to help. If Walt Bertram reads these postings, he would be of great help for you. He collected a lot of the data for the NJ system posted in the RR database.

Status
Not open for further replies.