• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

APCO-25 and D/PL Tones

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

N_Jay

KG4WHM said:
Can D/PL Tones be used in a conventional system either that is using APCO-25?

P25 has access codes which perform a function similar to PL/DPL.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
P-25 capable scanners automatically decodes these systems, and as far as I know do not display these as a format of PL/DPL.

SCPD

QRT
I know that they decode the digital signal automaticly. What I am wondering is if I could program a digital system in a digital scanner with DPL or PL tones so I don't hear anyone else that uses the same frequency or interference.

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Umm as far as I know there is no way to manually do digital coding, and from what I am reading, if your monitoring a digital system, you won't get interference. Anyone have any other info?

N

N_Jay

I'm not into scanners. but it sounds like the P25 Scannrrs out there don't do access codes yet.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
Code:
Umm as far as I know there is no way to manually do digital coding, and from what I am reading, if your monitoring a digital system, you won't get interference. Anyone have any other info?

You're right, there is no way to set up access codes on the current digital scanners, and p25 signals do not use PL/DPL.

But as far as interference goes, this is the downside to how these scanners are set up. It would be nice if I could set a channel as "digital only" so that the scanner would only stop if it found a valid digital signal to decode, kinda like the Unidens silently check for control channels during trunked scanning. But because they don't have such a setting, noise and interference will halt scanning just as easily as a valid transmission.

Oh well. What are ya gonna do?

-AZ

PJH

Premium Subscriber
IMBE radio's use NAC-Network Access Codes or Network ID

They range from 000-FFF in hex.

At this point, I don't think its too much to worry about picking up multiple IMBE radio's on the same channel :)

In terms of two-way radio's, there are several different ways that they can be setup.... unmute on propery ID only, selective ID (specific repeaters etc) and digital csq (you will hear any IMBE transmission on that channel).

N

N_Jay

PJH said:
IMBE radio's use NAC-Network Access Codes or Network ID

They range from 000-FFF in hex.

At this point, I don't think its too much to worry about picking up multiple IMBE radio's on the same channel :)

In terms of two-way radio's, there are several different ways that they can be setup.... unmute on propery ID only, selective ID (specific repeaters etc) and digital csq (you will hear any IMBE transmission on that channel).

IMBE, you mean P25?

IMBE is the vocoder, NACs and other access codes would have much more to do with the channel coding than the voice coding.

Or maybe I am just being picky?

Nah!:twisted:

PJH

Premium Subscriber
Well...

IMBE proper is that APCO CAI standard vocoder for digital communications as an open standard.

Project 25 is the APCO standard (Also called Astro25 by Motorola) for 9600bps digital trunking with CAI, and other aspects of digital communications, narrowbanding, encyption, NCIC2000 requirements and a whole host of other items (includingeconventinal however the emphasis is on trunking standards).

The method of manufactures with modified IMBE and digital commiuncations is different and is why I specifically said "IMBE" as opposed to "digital". ProVoice (IMBE modified), Agies, OpenSky (AMBE), VSLEP and a couple of other off shoots would not fit into the above in dealing with IMBE digital scanners.

SCPD

QRT

But as far as interference goes, this is the downside to how these scanners are set up. It would be nice if I could set a channel as "digital only" so that the scanner would only stop if it found a valid digital signal to decode, kinda like the Unidens silently check for control channels during trunked scanning. But because they don't have such a setting, noise and interference will halt scanning just as easily as a valid transmission.

Oh well. What are ya gonna do?

-AZ[/quote

That sucks. What I hoping I could do was put a DPL/PL tone in with a frequency that had a digital signal and I would only hear the people who where using that DPL/PL tone on that frequency. That way I would not hear anyone else, unless they had the same DPL/PL tone.
Hopefully in the future they will come out with a scanner that all that we would have to do is set that channel as digital only.

SCPD

QRT
PJH said:
Project 25 is the APCO standard (Also called Astro25 by Motorola) for 9600bps digital trunking with CAI, and other aspects ...

P25 isn't "the" APCO standard. There are numerous APCO standards - like Project 16, Project 39, and so on.

http://www.911dispatch.com/information/apco_projects.html

Getting back to your use of IMBE to mean P25. IMBE is also used in iDEN (Nextel) and Iridium Satellite phones. If you mean P25, please say so.

-rick

greg_miotke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
ITS SIMPLE SET YOUR PRO 96 TO 96 MODE AND PUT IN FREQ THE SCANNER WILL KICK OUT THE ID"S REAL SIMPLE............
IF U CAN"T DO THIS YOUR A MORERON!!!!!!!!!!!!

N

N_Jay

rfmobile said:
PJH said:
Project 25 is the APCO standard (Also called Astro25 by Motorola) for 9600bps digital trunking with CAI, and other aspects ...

P25 isn't "the" APCO standard. There are numerous APCO standards - like Project 16, Project 39, and so on.

http://www.911dispatch.com/information/apco_projects.html

Getting back to your use of IMBE to mean P25. IMBE is also used in iDEN (Nextel) and Iridium Satellite phones. If you mean P25, please say so.

-rick

Actually iDEN and Iridium are VSELP, (different versions of VSELP).
Yes using the Vocoder family (IMBE is a family of vocoders not one type) to indicate P25 is incorect, but after being "dressed down" by his reply, I figured I would ignore the error.

Actually P25 is a suite of standards that define many aspects of a digital radio, including the CAI (vocoding and channel coding), Trunking control, encryption, and many other aspects required fro compatability of digital systems.
http://www.project25.org/display.php?file=content/WhatIs/p25.htm
Astro25 is Motorola Brand Name for thier P25 products.

scannerfreak

Database Admin
greg_miotke said:
ITS SIMPLE SET YOUR PRO 96 TO 96 MODE AND PUT IN FREQ THE SCANNER WILL KICK OUT THE ID"S REAL SIMPLE............
IF U CAN"T DO THIS YOUR A MORERON!!!!!!!!!!!!

Moreron? LOL

qoatzecotl

I suppose we know whom the real "moreron" is, seeing as you set the PRO-96 to FM mode, not 96 mode for conventional digital transmissions.

But what do I know? I just own one...

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
The guy has a grand total of 3 posts and all are pretty much the same. Usually ends up insulting somebody although with his grammar and spelling it's really hard to get the message.

Guess he's just another "moreron".

mancow

Database Admin
That sucks. What I hoping I could do was put a DPL/PL tone in with a frequency that had a digital signal and I would only hear the people who where using that DPL/PL tone on that frequency. That way I would not hear anyone else, unless they had the same DPL/PL tone.
Hopefully in the future they will come out with a scanner that all that we would have to do is set that channel as digital only.

The digital signals don't carry DPL or PL tones because...well....it's digital.
It's a completely different mode of operation. PL and DPL can only be used with analog carriers. Trying to form a PL waveform along with a digital signal would completely destroy all the information.

mancow

mancow

Status
Not open for further replies.