• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Brand new to this. Please help if you will!

Status
Not open for further replies.

newsnow

Hello fine folks. I have been out of the loop of scanners for 3 years now. I come back to moniter and wonder why for 2 days I don't hear anything. Now i know down in San Diego crime and fires are on the news!... I have done alot of research but to no avail i am stuck. What am I doing wrong? I hear the city of san diego fine its the chp, and out layign fire-pd I cannot hearon somethign called RCS? Its listed in the astro section of the RR list. I have one of them trunk trackers from radio shack its a pro2050 it use to work great so i bought another on ebay same problem! Now my grandson told me about some do hicky that i need to listen to the new stuff. Anyone please fill an old retired hillbilly on what to do next? what i need and whats the cheapest way to get it done?

Thanks in advance for your fine help!

D.C

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
You most likely will need to buy a digital capable scanner such as the PRO-96, BC296D, or BC796D. The price is still kinda high ($500.00 range) but to monitor a Motorola Astro digital formatted system, or any Motorola Digital format, you will need a digital capable scanner. Welcome to the boards, and welcome to the "digital" trunking age. :)

newsnow

Thanks so much for responding! I am kinda intimidated by this new digital scanner, do you program them like a regular trunk tracker? I went down to radio shack today and trying to get someoen to help me was bad, but the pencil geek didnt know squat about them, asked me if i wanted to rob banks for the use of it then said scanners suck and are boring. I left. Sorry I have so many questions that is just a lot of money to try something I don't get ( i am not very sharp with technology!)

Thank you again!

newsnow

Thanks so much for responding! I am kinda intimidated by this new digital scanner, do you program them like a regular trunk tracker? I went down to radio shack today and trying to get someoen to help me was bad, but the pencil geek didnt know squat about them, asked me if i wanted to rob banks for the use of it then said scanners suck and are boring. I left. Sorry I have so many questions that is just a lot of money to try something I don't get ( i am not very sharp with technology!)

Thank you again!

Status
Not open for further replies.