• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Scanner Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

completeAudio

Hi i am new to scanners and would like to listen to my local PD. I am confused on what type of scanner i will need. Iknow they use a trunked system, but im not sure weather i will need the digital scanner or just a normal trunked. Here is their system.

http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=TRSDB&sid=197&nopt=1

I am thinking i need the digital....but not sure. I have a real old scanner but i only get bit and peices of the conversations.

Also what are your recommendations on a new scanner?

Thank You

waynesewell

From the page you referenced: "The system is an Astro-CAI (APCO-25) digital system."

The BC796/296 scanners are the only unidens with digital out of the box. Some of the models can do digital with a separate card installed (BC350?).

Don't know anything about the radio shack models, but some have digital capability. pro-96? The claim is that they handle the sound quality better. Dunno.

At the very least you will need a trunking scanner. That's why you can't follow the conversations.

Dubbin

Feed Provider
At the very least you will need a trunking scanner.

A regular trunking radio will do no good on a digital system :roll:
You will need a digital radio in order to listen to that system. Any of the digital radios should work on that system. RadioShack PRO96, Uniden 250, 785, 296, 796. With the 250 and 785 you will need to buy the digital card. The 296 and the 796 the card is included and with the PRO96 the "card" is built into the radio. There is NO BC350 digital radio, so dont even bother looking for it.

waynesewell

A regular trunking radio will do no good on a digital system

He said he could hear bits and pieces of conversations with a non-digital, non-trunking scanner, so it's not all digital all the time. He would at least be able to follow those conversations with just a trunking scanner.

There is NO BC350 digital radio, so dont even bother looking for it.

Okay, sorry about that. BC-Something-50.

completeAudio

Thanks for the replies, I think i understand the system a little better now. I found this,

The system is an Astro-CAI (APCO-25) digital system. The Police and Fire Departments on Boca, Boynton, and Delray are all running fulltime Astro-CAI digital with Local Government as analog. PBSO and PBCFR are all analog except for SWAT, SRT, etc on the County cell.

So since right now i am more concerned with listening to the PBSO i could get a 250 or 785 and always to the upgrade later...right?

Also what is the big difference between the two?

DJ88

Just remember one thing. The Uniden BC250D and 785D models can only monitor 3600 Baud digital trunked systems. The newer BC296D and 796D models can monitor both 3600 and 9600 Baud systems.

mlevin

96 is a better investment, other then buy a non digital trunker now, and then want to by a digital later. Of course, the 296/796 will work just as good, but I'm biased to the 96.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
completeAudio, In order to listen to Boca Raton, Delray Beach, Boynton Beach police or fire/rescue, you need a digital trunk tracking scanner. These agencies are full time digital for police and fire. Public works I believe use analog.

However, Palm Beach County is mostly analog trunking, although there are digital talkgroups in use on the system (3600 baud). So, if your main interest is in one of the cities mentioned above, you need a digital trunk tracking scanner, like the PRO-96 or Uniden BC250 or BC-296, or BC-785 or BC-796. With the BC-250 or BC-785, you have to buy the digital card seperately. It's included with the BC-296 and BC-796; the Radio Shack PRO-96 doesn't require a digital card.

Status
Not open for further replies.