• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

New RS 800 MHz antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

baybum

Just my opinion but, if this antenna provides no significant gain over the Radio Shack 800, then it would be much cheaper to get a BNC 90 degree adapter for $3 bucks.

The specs don't show any gain. I'd be interested in hearing some performance reports. Knowing GRE, it should be an excellent performer.

Mike

Dubbin

Feed Provider
baybum said:
Just my opinion but, if this antenna provides no significant gain over the Radio Shack 800, then it would be much cheaper to get a BNC 90 degree adapter for $3 bucks.

How would it be much cheaper to spend $15.49 for the RS antenna and $3 for a 90° adapter when the GRE antenna is only $16.99?

Josh

this antenna resembles the Motorola Dipole 800Mhz antenna, as well as the old "bag-phone" style antenna, which too contained a 90* angle connection.

With my experience with the Motorola dipole and their 800Mhz 6" whip, there is only marginal difference with the dipole.

I don't know what it looks like inside but it seems to be two quarter wave 800Mhz antennas with a center fed connection judging by the lack of bendability in the middle, that or a loading coil of some sort.

I'm not about to dismantle it either.

-Josh

kikito

Premium Subscriber
baybum said:

The specs don't show any gain. I'd be interested in hearing some performance reports. Knowing GRE, it should be an excellent performer.

Mike

Most of the time when you add adapters to lines and antennas, you're also adding a significant amount of loss. Sometimes enough loss that you might lose whatever advantage the antenna offers....

Just my 2 cents, YMMV.

scannerfreak

Database Admin
According to Glen from Scanners Unlimiated:

GRE America has just unveiled a new 800 MHz Gain rubber duck antenna that is superior in performance to any 800 MHz antenna I have tried. It outperforms the one I currently sell for $25.95 and is only priced at $16.95. It is 8.25" long, with a heavy duty swivel joint at the bottom end that allows it to be at either 45 degrees or 90 degrees from horizontal, so it can be used on a hand-held or as a back of the set antenna. We will be able to ship them starting this Thursday

Might just be a sales ploy, who knows. I plan to order one so We'll know here shortly. I will post a review as soon as I get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.