• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Inexpensive VHF Radio with 2-tone decode

Status
Not open for further replies.

blaster668

I am looking for inexpensive radios that offer 2-tone decoding. I am looking at a much cheaper alternative to Minitor pagers. Even used obsolete wide band radios will be considered.

Requirements:
Fairly compact
Rugged
at least one channel
150mhz range
programmable
Needs to have some type of alerting beeps or sounds

What would you suggest? I would like to try to keep these under $100 per radio, used is fine.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Vertex is probably your best choice, but I'm not sure it'd be under $100.

stonek554

Inexpensive VHF Radio 2-tone

I would recommend the Connect Systems CS3011 VHF radio. The website lists it for about $300, but if you call them they will sell it to you for $160 with the programming cable. Mine works great on 2-Tone decoding and I really enjoy the radio.

Untitled Document

mancow

Database Admin
I just picked up a $100 TYT UVF1 dual bander and it has two tone decoding plus other formats and awesome battery life with a ton of included accessories.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
How about Minitor 3's and 4's? I have a growing pile of them that I can offer to you for under $100 each with charger and battery. All are in good shape.

How many would you like?

blaster668

I regularly buy used HT1000's for around $50 each, I know these are capable of two tone decoding but they are just so large and heavy, which makes them great for fireground radios, but not so much as a pager. I just figured that Moto or Kenwood would have made something lower end in that era that was way more compact and probably sells on Ebay for next to nothing regularly. I do have a couple TK-250g's that, radio is certainly getting closer to what I'm looking for, but they seem to have problems with batteries losing contact with the radio. Used Vertex VX-160's sell for pretty cheap used, but I rarely see them for sale.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
newer small radios that are narrowband compliant: Kenwood TK-2160, used around 100-150, still supported by Kenwood. Very cheap to replace housings and cosmetic parts. Uses common 2-pin Kenwood audio accessories available all over the place.

If you want a brick, I second the HT1000. Make sure it's a DN revision (model number will end in DN, e.g. H01KDC9AA3DN) as these are narrowband compliant and do 2.5KHz splinter channels. Fairly easy to replace housing parts though the parts are getting pricey as the radio has been OOP for a few years, though still depot supported. Don't pay more than 100 bucks for one.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Swissphone and Apollo make voice pagers, which are less expensive that new Minitors. Is this something that you are looking for a person to carry, and be receive an alert?

Status
Not open for further replies.