• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

not worried

Status
Not open for further replies.

danpirate

I see one major flaw in encrypting all law enforcement frequencies in all cities. A lot of out of business scanner makers; hey look let's be realistic the scanner industry is a multi billion dollar business, employing a lot of people and resources. I would never purchase a scanner again if i couldn't here the police where i live. I think that opion carries through most scanner users. Most of us here probably own a scanner worth 300 dollars or more, thats a lot of tax money (depending on where you live) that our local and federal governments won't be recieving. The more intelligent thing for the federal government to do, would be to make scanner owners and users become licensed prior to purchase more like ham users.

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
Unless the scanner was purchased over the internet where there are no sales taxes. Then the tax issue is moot.

RolnCode3

Here in California, when you file state taxes, there's now a "Use Tax" (might be called a fee, can't remember) which takes the place of sales tax on items which were purchased outside the state. SO, to stay within CA law, you have to estimate the value of all items which were purchased outside the state, aka on the Internet, and pay the equivalent of a sales tax on them.

However, I doubt that law enforcement and other public agencies are going to give much consideration to the woes of the scanner industry. The only way it'll impact LE and other public safety is that officers won't be able to have scanners to listen to allied agencies for mutual aid (it'll have to be in the radios or unavaliable).

N

N_Jay

danpirate said:
I see one major flaw in encrypting all law enforcement frequencies in all cities. A lot of out of business scanner makers; hey look let's be realistic the scanner industry is a multi billion dollar business, employing a lot of people and resources. I would never purchase a scanner again if i couldn't here the police where i live. I think that opion carries through most scanner users. Most of us here probably own a scanner worth 300 dollars or more, thats a lot of tax money (depending on where you live) that our local and federal governments won't be recieving. The more intelligent thing for the federal government to do, would be to make scanner owners and users become licensed prior to purchase more like ham users.

I doubt the Scanner Market is more than 10's to 100's of millions a year.

PD, is only a portion of that market, so no one is going to worry about the tax loss, or even job loss.

The issues are just way to separated. The people making the decisions on encryption don't have visabilitry to any (minimal) tax loss, and the people worried about taxes don't even see scanners as a separate market.

fireant

I understand what you are saying but I seriously doubt they will ever go 100% encripted they have had it around for years and we still here them its only used when its very sesitive information you have a good point but I feel its not something to worry about for many, many years to come if it ever does happen

fireant

just my two cents!!!

Chris-M

encryption impact

I'm sure a lot of off-duty officers, firefighters, etc monitor their work frequencies with store bought scanners. Wrecker drivers seem to always have a scanner in their trucks too.

Hopefully encryption will be used on specific TAC channels and there would be protocol that would require the users to switch to that TAC channel if they had something to discuss or sensitive information.

Status
Not open for further replies.