• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

TETRA delays

Status
Not open for further replies.

OzzyJase

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, have searched and come up empty.

I am a Mechy type with very little digital radio knowledge, so please go easy with the jargon.

I work for an oil and gas company on an offshore FSO (it's basically a stationary ship for storing and offloading product). We recently made the change from analog to digital and it is frustrating the hell out of us. We have had a TETRA trunked system installed and we were supplied with Cassidian (EADS) handsets.

When we push the button to talk, we have approx. 3 second delay before we are assigned a channel to talk, then approx another 1 sec delay on voice from sender to reciever. This is very annoying when working in the field, starting machinery and trying to communicate our actions to the Central Control room.

We have been told by our supplier, whom also installed and maintains this system, that this is normal for TETRA systems and nothing can be done. We are stuck with it basically, so stop asking the question. Our Managers and Supervisors are now taking their word for it, as it doesn't really affect them as they're not in the field. However, I just cannot accept this as the truth. Plenty of Law Enforcement and Safety Services run TETRA and I just cannot see them having to wait 3 seconds before talking.

Please, someone with knowledge in this area, can you shed some light for me.

Raccon

Please, someone with knowledge in this area, can you shed some light for me.
You mentioned the handsets are from Cassidian, but who's infrastructure are you using? Is the supplier also the manufacturer?

In any case it is definitely not normal, the time to set up a call in TETRA should be in the area of 200-300ms. I also do know that the Cassidian handsets can achieve this, so I assume that there is something not quite right in the system/infrastructure.

Status
Not open for further replies.