• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

P25 Question about RSSI

Status
Not open for further replies.

scannerowner

This is kinda in response with the MO Discussion, MOSWIN, but I don't know the specifics on a P25 trunked system.The radio tech's radio shows a RSSI of 58 on a Site that is only 10 miles away from him using a Mobile Radio and he says it should be atleast double that, if this is true, how do you improve the RSSI on a single site. For those that don't know, MOSWIN is a 71 Site VHF P25 Trunked System in MO. To fix the problem do they have to move the antenna off the tower to another location, or what other options do they have to fix it? I wish I knew more about P25 radio systems and the technical side of how they work. This is not a scanner question.

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
The simple answer is fix what is broken. It could be that the transmitter(s) aren't putting out full power or there is a problem with the coax, connectors, antenna, etc. It could even be the terrain (such as a hill or valley) that is causing the problem. If everything is working the only way of increasing the ERP of the site is to raise the antenna, increase the transmitter power, decrease the duplexer/transmission line loss, increase the antenna gain, or move the transmitter and the receiver closer to each other

BB.

scannerowner

Hmm ok, that all makes sense. Guess it just takes time to figure out what is broken and get it fixed then. If it is terrain, what can be done to fix it?

scannerowner

Don't think it can be bulldozed, but may be able to improve the height, it is at 91.4m, I believe, structure at 96.9m. Elevation is 300.9 m! Now I wonder why it's soo hard to reach ten miles away! The next closest site has an antenna at 328.1m, does almost 90 feet difference make such a BIG difference?

Last edited:

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Without knowing the specifics of the equipment at the site, there's really no way to tell.

Could be engineered poorly, could be bad equipment, could be mistuned equipment, could be the wrong equipment installed, could even be the test equipment used.

There are many factors which affect a site's RF performance and without more details, we're all just guessing.

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
If it is terrain there isn't much you can do. The obvious solution is to move the site. In reality that is usually not possible. Moving a site and re-coordinating it with the FCC may not be possible due to previous frequency coordination of existing frequencies. When designing systems it usually isn't possible to put the tower where you want it to provide the best coverage. This is due to zoning laws, NEPA requirements, and local coordination limitations. That is why there are always "dead spots" in any system design.

BB

scannerowner

Thanks all for your responses! I bet they have addressed the problem now and will look into fixing it anyway they can to ensure the safety of those using it! I just hope it doesn't take long before they do!

scannerowner

I guess using that at an approximate Elevation shows the line of sight is slightly under what I should have, so technically I should have great reception of it. There are trees and all between the site and where I'm located, but then again the site is only 10.5 driving miles away, 9 miles line of sight, and IS VHF. That's what we are puzzled about. Still makes me think something is wrong with the transmitter because most of the other sites don't report any RSSI issues from wherever they're at, and some are located within the Ozarks of MO. For those that don't know, the Ozarks are the closest thing to mountains around here!

Last edited:

greenthumb

Colorado DB Administrator
Database Admin
It really could be anything at all - bad or incorrect antenna, bad or improperly installed connector(s), bad PolyPhaser, bad or mis-tuned cavity filter(s), bad or mis-tuned pre-selector or bad PA in the station. Without taking test gear out to the site and going through everything, there's really no way to tell.

It could even be something wrong with the technician's mobile radio, connector, coaxial cable, NMO mount or antenna too.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
P25 is not perfect yet

It has nothing to do with P25. RF is RF in general terms.

I'd go more with a problem with the radio being used by the "tech" reading 58. My guess someone is just pressing the RSSI button on the radio and getting a number. Radio could use an alignment, just in a shadow of the site, poor install of the antenna, high RF area.

My guess is the site is fine. Any compentent tech would be at the site and getting pretty good readings to determine any faults between the radio and the antenna.

Some of you are way out in left field.

scannerowner

Does it matter if I'm 10.5 miles away from the site and on my scanner I get very little reception. Also the actual radio affiliates with a site that is maybe 1.5 or 2 times that distance from the same location. It's very puzzling why it would affiliate with a tower that is twice the distance.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
You haven't told us how you are coming into this information. Hard to answer the question without knowing hat troubleshoot (if any is needed) has been done and with what equipment.

scannerowner

Just gathering the information from various sources and after a post in the discussion I was following. I have two sources that use the system and report to me their findings.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
So basically your guessing and assuming.

Tower affiliation also isn't too big of a deal depending on the talkgroup/system allocation.

I have radios that will affiliate to sites further away that geographically located. I can also get intelligible audio with rssi values as low as 33.

scannerowner

The system is set up to adjust to which site has the strongest signal. All sites are at the same power level. I think it's a P25 SmartZone setup if I remember correctly.

PJH

Premium Subscriber
The system is setup that way or the subscribers?

All sites are not setup at the same power level. That's determined by the FCC with the haat.

scannerowner

The particular site that is having issues is at 100 watts that is VHF and the nearest 800mhz site is pushing 35 watts. I'm receiving the 800mhz site better than the VHF, something is odd there!

Status
Not open for further replies.