• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Questions? Guidance needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KY_FF_EMT

Premium Subscriber
Ok, so a few weeks ago I came across two Motorola HT1250's that are UHF. I was talking to a friend of mine and we wanted to use these for when were out on our quads or when we are out plowing snow or what ever else. We both have the software to program the radios so that isnt a proublem. My question to you guys is, is this legal and would I need to get a licence from the fcc? The radios are programmed with channels that are not used in our area, we have checked.

Thanks for the help

ScanWI

MN & WI DB Admin
Database Admin
To use frequencies in the UHF band you will need licenses. Whether you get a GMRS or a HAM license is totally up to you. Those radios will work great for those. The other option would be to find two VHF radios to use on the MURS channels. These are a set of VHF frequencies that can be used without a license with a maximum power output of 2 watts.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
Ok, so a few weeks ago I came across two Motorola HT1250's that are UHF. I was talking to a friend of mine and we wanted to use these for when were out on our quads or when we are out plowing snow or what ever else. We both have the software to program the radios so that isnt a proublem. My question to you guys is, is this legal and would I need to get a licence from the fcc? The radios are programmed with channels that are not used in our area, we have checked.

Thanks for the help

All radios except FRS and MURS radios require an FCC issued license. Operating on a frequency your aren't licensed for or authorized to use by someone else who is licensed can subject you to fines and forfeiture of equipment by the FCC. Furthermore, you could be interfering with someone and not even know it.

Best thing to do is for you and your friends to get GMRS licenses as the other poster advised, as one license covers anyone in your immediate family. You can also use repeater systems on GMRS with permission of the repeater owner or put up your own repeater if you wish.

rapidcharger

Actually, it doesn't sound like GMRS is the right radio service for you. But there's some good news.

You mentioned "squads" and you also mentioned "snow plowing"

I don't know if this is for rescue or some municipal services but if so, you should try getting a license for and a frequency/pair in the government pool where your operations will be better coordinated from interference such as 5 year olds playing on their FRS radios. If you are eligible for a license there, you will be exempt from the filing fees.

If not, you should try to apply for a part 90 business pool- perhaps itinerant frequencies (itins. don't require coordination but must be shared with possibly many others).

If you went the GMRS route, everyone that uses the radios that isn't related to you would also have to get their license and there is the common belief amonst many GMRS users that business communications such as snow plowing isn't allowed and they will sometimes go to ridiculous lengths to advise you of such whether they are correct or not or whether they are breaking the law themselves. As it is, a part 90 license is cheaper over the course of a 10 year period than a GMRS license over that same time.

MURS is out because that's for VHF and you don't have VHF radios not to mention the radios you have aren't compliant with the MURS restrictions.

As others mentioned, to just program them up to a seeming unused frequency and transmit there without a license puts you at risk of criminal penalties.
radioReferenceRL.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.