• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Connecting with a Repeater

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sloan103

Hi, I just purchased a TYT TH 9000 for Fire dept. use. I am trying to talk on our 911 channel, i can key up on the channel and 911 can hear me but im not hitting the repeater. The DPL is 131. I'm just not sure how to set the radio up for this.

fineshot1

Hi, I just purchased a TYT TH 9000 for Fire dept. use. I am trying to talk on our 911 channel, i can key up on the channel and 911 can hear me but im not hitting the repeater. The DPL is 131. I'm just not sure how to set the radio up for this.

You failed to provide any detail info on your FD repeater frequency so your not going to get much help
until you supply that. info, such as: Input Frequency?, Output Frequency?, Input and output Tones used?

FYI: Repeaters use two Frequencies, an input and output Freq and in some cases the input and output tones
can be different.

Last edited:

GrumpyGuard

From what I can see your transmit frequncy needs to be 156.0975 and your recieve needs to be 154.7450. I will assume you have authority to use your radio on this system, and with that said you should have the departments communications person program the radio for you.

Sloan103

Yes I do have permission, and I was going to go to datatronics Monday. I just like to tinker with stuff and learn a little if i can. All the information that I have is the 154.7475 and the tone 131dpl. I will try the 156.0975.

Sloan103

And about the ctcss/dcs decode and Encode, Is it the same for both 131dpl or is it usually different? Sorry about the questions, im a newbie..

fineshot1

And about the ctcss/dcs decode and Encode, Is it the same for both 131dpl or is it usually different? Sorry about the questions, im a newbie..

This depends entirely how the radio techs configured the repeater. It may be they are the same or
the receive and transmit DPL may be different. You will have to ask someone in the know as to how
the repeater is configured.

GrumpyGuard

Yes I do have permission, and I was going to go to datatronics Monday. I just like to tinker with stuff and learn a little if i can. All the information that I have is the 154.7475 and the tone 131dpl. I will try the 156.0975.
Have the tech walk you through the process. Most tech's love to teach others.Follow this link to the RR Database and it shows the transmit frequency of 154.7475.
Glad to see you jumped through all the hoops and are authorized to use a private radio on the county system.

Is your TH 9000 FCC Part 90 approved, if not your agency may not want you transmitting under their license. Starting tomorrow all Part 90 licensee's will need to be narrowband compliant, the FCC will be putting all licensee's under scrutiny, now would not be a good time to be caught with a non approved radio.

GrumpyGuard

Is your TH 9000 FCC Part 90 approved, if not your agency may not want you transmitting under their license. Starting tomorrow all Part 90 licensee's will need to be narrowband compliant, the FCC will be putting all licensee's under scrutiny, now would not be a good time to be caught with a non approved radio.

Yes this radio is Part 90 Certified, and is being sold by various American companies. :)

RKG

You might also want to consult 47 C.F.R. sec. 90.421 ("Operation of mobile station units not under the control of the licensee").

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
I believe the TYT 9000 is capable of narrowband, I have the 220 MHz version for amateur radio. The FCC mandated that in order to transmit on the band you want the radio must be narrowband. (simply a way of squeezing more channels into the band.This allows twice as many channels within the band you operate on going forward. They did this because they ran out of assignable frequencies.) The amateur radio bands do not need to adhere to this narrowbanding and TYT wanted to market the 9000 to both commercial and amateur interests giving them a larger market in which to sell the radio. (for this email, consider commercial interests and your public safety interests as one and the same.)

There may be a concern as it applies to the radio being "Intrinsicly Safe". This is a standard required of electronic equipment that may be used in possibly explosive atmospheres. Portable radios that are manufactured specifically for the public safety departments are (or should be) certified to possess this quality. It means the equipment will not be a possible ignition source. The last thing a firefighter needs is to push the xmit button on his portable radio and create a spark while in an explosive atmosphere. Mobile radios such as your 9000 however might not need to comply with this under normal conditions if it is mounted in a vehicle, the vehicle being a larger ignition source by itself. If however, you make a backpack out of it, giving it a portability aspect that would allow it to be transported into a hazardous environment, I would not think it would be acceptable.

As for your PL/DPL settings, just set up a DPL code like the PL code.

It seems to me that if the base is hearing you, but you are not hearing the base, you are transmitting on the repeater's input frequency with the correct DPL code. Everyone is going to hear your radio. However, if you are not hearing the base it's probably because you have not set correctly set up your radio to operated in DUPLEX mode. That's the two frequency setup mentioned in another reply. The radio is most likely set to SIMPLEX mode which means after you finish transmitting, it does NOT listen to the other frequency (output of the repeater frequency) and just stays on the repeater's input frequency. Anyone close to your radio would be heard in the SIMPLEX mode provided they were in DUPLEX mode, but you loose the extended range that the repeater offers.

Bottom line, configure four things in your radio. 1) DUPLEX. 2) enter repeater input and output frequencies. 3) DPL. 4) TONE SQUELCH

Set up your transmit mode to DUPLEX, plug in the two frequencies. The one your scanner hears the FD on is your receive frequency (also known as the repeater output frequency) and the other is the transmit frequency for your 9000. Make sue you have the correct DPL entered and turned on and set it to TONE SQUELCH and you should be good to go.

(The order in which you set up these four items is important. The order in which I listed them may not be correct. The radio manual will have the correct order.)

Hope this helps.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.