• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Radio Shack BTX-121 &123

Status
Not open for further replies.

markandjere

Premium Subscriber
I've had these laying around here for a few years and thought I would take a peek inside. These are old crystal controlled business radios. I see a spot at the bottom of the radio for the second set of crystals. What do you have to do to set a second channel in these old radios ? There is a spot for tx and one for rx . What is the pairing for crystals ? The factory setting is 154.600 for one channel. Would I be correct in thinking that I need 4 total crystals for both radios ,all the same for another freq or two sets of two paired up for tx and rx? Thanks and please excuse my ignorance on these.

EC-7

Yes, you would need 4 crystals total. 2 transmit, 2 receive.
Those radios are not narrow-band compliant so you cant transmit on them anymore, except maybe on the 154.600. I think that freq was exempt??

Honestly, with the price ($15 each crystal) and wait time to order crystals these days, its only a few $$ more to buy a new programmable Chinese made radio.

I do still use a BTX123 with a extra receive crystal for one scanner feed, but I already had the crystal from an old scanner.

markandjere

Premium Subscriber
Thanks , I actually picked them up at a flea market for $8 just to see if I could use the belt clip on my PRO-96. I just opened them up out of curiousity today. I figured I could use them for parts somehow.

KF4ZTO

154.600 is exempt from narrowbanding. It and 154.570 both fall under MURS which is FCC Part 95 rules. MURS allows for 11.25kHz bandwidth on 151.820, 151.880 and 151.940 MHz, and up to 20kHz (+/- 5kHz deviation) operations on 154.570 and 154.600 MHz. Your BTX-121 and BTX-123 are legal to use on 154.57 and 154.60.

Status
Not open for further replies.