• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Radio Tielines

Status
Not open for further replies.

W2MR

I worked for a two-way company for 36 years. We were very dependent upon radio tielines to connect the various pieces of radio networks together. I had to oversee about 250 RTNA's. Over the years Verizon's service quality dropped to almost nothing. We tried FDDA's which were not much better. My question...what do people use these days to connect point A to point B?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
We are still using 2 wire circuits from the Telco for our off site stuff. I work on a university campus, so on site we have our own fiber and copper to use.
Off site, the LEC is as reliable as we can get, short of running our own microwave links.
I also run the PBX, and as we move into the VoIP world, I've discovered that most networking folks have no clue what five nines are, or how to treat systems that carry public safety traffic or even telephone traffic. Things are slowly getting better, but we still have issues where routers will get reloaded in the middle of the day with updates, knocking out service.
On the other hand, as the LEC's evolve away from circuit switched systems, and the old timers retire, the quality of service is dropping. Having to train the LEC techs that show up at our site on how to test their own services is getting to be a common occurrence. I was lucky enough to hire two retired AT&T techs that started back in the 70's under Bell. Those guys know what they are doing and have really helped out a lot. Even though I've been doing this stuff for 20 years, I still learn things from them. Both of them have worked in multiple disciplines, splicing, high capacity circuits, special services, optical systems, 911 systems, etc. It's hard to find people with that much experience these days. Not sure what we will do when they retire.
Not sure what's going to happen as the phone companies "evolve". Customer expectations are dropping as we use more and more IP services. I can look back over the last 15 years and confidently say that I never had my POTS service go out of order, not once. My DSL goes down at least once a week, and the ISP thinks that is totally acceptable. My cell phone works most of the time, but not always, and that is also deemed acceptable.

I'm sure IP and RoIP will take over, but I really hope that reliability improves. Leased dedicated fiber strands might be the answer as prices come down. I think agencies that are fortunate enough to have their own fiber networks are in the best positions. Still, it's really hard to beat the simplicity and reliability of a well built copper cable plant.

I guess I just dated myself....

Status
Not open for further replies.