• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Do I have to narrow band again in the future?

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt131

QRT
Premium Subscriber
Hello,

I am considering MotoTrbo and Nexedge and I see that MotoTrbo is 12.5 TDMA which is 6.25 E when using a repeater and Nexedge is 6.25 in repeater or radio to radio mode or peer to peer mode. I am only going to use the digital radios in radio to radio mode only and will never use a repeater. With this said if I go MotoTrbo, when the FCC says 6.25 will I have to narrow band again to 6.25 because technically MotoTrbo is really 12.5 radio to radio NOT 6.25?

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
It took 20 years to get to 12.5 and some aren't done yet. I'm not too worried about a 6.25 mandate obsoleting any gear currently in service.

Mike_G_D

I would be less concerned with the future 6.25KHz BW issue than I would be concerned with why you will be using MotoTrbo equipment in solely a direct simplex operation with no repeater or infrastructure. Doing so will completely negate pretty much most of the MotoTrbo benefits especially and primarily the TDMA dual channel mode. In other words - what's the point? MotoTrbo is designed to yield two voice channels per radio frequency channel so you effectively get double capacity per radio channel (which is why you get 6.25KHz "E(quivalency)". The problem is, that ONLY works when a repeater or controller is present - in direct radio-to-radio mode you revert back to single voice channel per radio channel. I suppose there might be other features that are of interest to you but if it were me, and I really never intended to use a repeater or controller then I would strongly consider a simple analog FM system or NXDN which is true 6.25KHz BW voice channel FDMA. Also, I guess if you have some contract or some such that gives you a great pricing deal on MotoTrbo equipment that might be a selling point. But, really, I can't see much benefit over basic FM or NXDN when solely using MotoTrbo in direct simplex mode.

-Mike

matt131

QRT
Premium Subscriber
The reason I am going digital is because I had both types of radios on demo and they gave me the range I needed in digital mode without a repeater. I also liked the fact that you could do private call between units. I am just not too sure which one to go with.

rapidcharger

The reason I am going digital is because I had both types of radios on demo and they gave me the range I needed in digital mode without a repeater. I also liked the fact that you could do private call between units. I am just not too sure which one to go with.

You'd be future proofed against "very" narrowbanding with Icom's IDAS (NXDN) which is only 6.25. They also happen to be the low price leader- something municipal governments don't care about but small businesses do.

JRayfield

MOTOTRBO radios can now operate in 6.25E mode in simplex. They sync the time slots between themselves, without the need for a repeater.

John Rayfield, Jr. CETma

Hello,

I am considering MotoTrbo and Nexedge and I see that MotoTrbo is 12.5 TDMA which is 6.25 E when using a repeater and Nexedge is 6.25 in repeater or radio to radio mode or peer to peer mode. I am only going to use the digital radios in radio to radio mode only and will never use a repeater. With this said if I go MotoTrbo, when the FCC says 6.25 will I have to narrow band again to 6.25 because technically MotoTrbo is really 12.5 radio to radio NOT 6.25?

Status
Not open for further replies.