• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

P25 Digital Simplex: Multiple Talkpaths (Same Freq; but Different Talkgroup ID's)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmpsa

All:

Curious question about P25 digital. I know that Motorola TRBO, in conjunction with a repeater only, you can have 2 talkpaths per frequency (though this is not the case in direct/simplex mode).

INTRO:
We have Kenwood & Vertex Standard P25 digital mobiles & portables that we use. I noticed in the programming software, the default setting for Vertex “Talkgroup ID" is "0001" (meaning talkgroup 1) and default setting for Kenwood is “Talkgroup ID” is “None” (meaning talkgroup 0).

So we decided to play around, create “talkgroup 1” and “talkgroup 2” in both radios using the same frequency (on purpose). When we talk on either talkgroup, the radio also receives the audio from the opposite talkgroup (which I thought it would not do that). So what I was trying to test here was, using the same freq {example 151.625 simplex NAC 300} is ch1 (t/g 1) & ch2 (t/g 2) and because it was the same NAC, ch1 & ch2 both receive (though each has a different talkgroup number). I’m sure if I was trunked, my theory would work the way I was thinking.

I was just playing around trying to see if it was possible for 2 people to talk on say 151.625 simplex NAC 300, and have another set of staff use talkgroup 2 for another conversation (still on 151.625 simplex NAC 300) and the conversations remain separate because of 2 separate talkgroups.

Thanks in advance for your input

QUESTIONS:
1. So am I confused that I thought P25 digital could do more than 1 talkpath (i.e. talkgroup ID #) on the same frequency?

2. If above is true, then the talkgroup setting in both radios would primarily be for a trunked system, not for direct/simplex mode?

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
Yes, you can have multiple talkgroups on p25 conventional (simplex or repeated). Of course it's fdma, so only one person can talk at a time (1 talk path), but the conversations will be separated, like if the NACs were different..
Note that default on a lot of radios is to unmute on nac alone and ignore TG, so you need to set the digital squelch to nac AND talkgroup. It might be called selective squelch or something like that.

MotoTRBO is tdma 2-slot, hence 2 talk paths.

jaaredmond

Agree with Knight. I know that in the moto world that "normal squelch" opens to and TGID with matching NAC, where "selective squelch" opens with matching NAC AND TGID.

There should be a TGID that will open and transmit to all other TGs using the same NAC. So you could set up several TGs and simulcast to all of them.....or monitor all. I think moto uses "63533" off the top of my head.

cmpsa

awesome... Thank you BOTH for the valuable information; which has helped me understand what I was trying to do doesn't work...

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Agree with Knight. I know that in the moto world that "normal squelch" opens to and TGID with matching NAC, where "selective squelch" opens with matching NAC AND TGID.

There should be a TGID that will open and transmit to all other TGs using the same NAC. So you could set up several TGs and simulcast to all of them.....or monitor all. I think moto uses "63533" off the top of my head.

That seems to be an oddball value to use. I would suspect it would be more like 65535, which is a more "round" number when dealing with hexadecimal values (which is what most if not all radio systems "talk in" more or less).

Status
Not open for further replies.