• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

UHF transceiver & Android cellphone in one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris-KH2PM

Premium Subscriber
This is interesting. Android based phones (X1, X2 & X3) with built in UHF 400-470 mhz transceivers that have repeater offset and CTCSS capability. Can be programmed via the keypad/touch screen. Chinese made, but seem to be well built and ruggedized. I'm not a big fan of much of the stuff coming from China, but this has my interest. I've never had an Android phone so I cannot tell if it's any good there or if the current Android apps will work in it.

Runbo X3 Rugged Phone Wants to be the Rambo of Smartphones

Runbo X3 Android smartphone can take a licking | Android Community

Runbo X5 and X3 rugged Android phones moonlight as walkie-talkies, cost just $320

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Re: UHF transceiver & Android cellphone in one

Interesring. If they add in DCS, it could be very useful.

I wonder if they would configure the radio as an FRS unit, for the general public, and offer programming options for other services.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
There was a company at IWCE last year that was showing off a similar product. The price was pretty low, somewhere around $200 for them. Power output wasn't much, but it was an interesting little product.

ADVANZTEC

Power output is extremely low. They are capped at 0.5 watts, at least for the RugGear sets I've seen.
Battery packs are a little dodgy, I was playing with one for a couple of weeks and it died on me for no reason. The supplier that gave me the sets to play with was happy enough to pass me a new battery but then again, it died on me a couple of weeks later.

SCPD

QRT
This is my zgpax s9 uhf full 400mhz Unlocked gsm cellphone
i love it
and it does DCS/PL Tones

and boy does it rock audio wise with scanner radio app by gordon edwards
Minor problems in some language areas and the DCS Codes are by number and not the
true code in usa like CDCSS12 is DPL-072

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hmmm... this might deserve a little more thought? Transmit rf is only 0.5 watts on all 3 models though? * scratches head * :roll:

n9zas

Status
Not open for further replies.