• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Dumb narrowband question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
... that i really should know the answer to, but i'm drawing a blank.

all of the new radios we've put into service in 2012 and 2013 were narrowband compliant, obviously.

The repeaters were replaced in late 2012 with narrowband repeaters.

A few frequencies changed as well.

Now, all the PORTABLE radios (about 128 if you count the ones i JUST put in service) were programmed as "narrow transmit, wide recieve" on the old channels because it took so long to get the repeaters replaced.

So, the system administrator just asked me if we need to recall all the portables to reprogram them as narrow tx/narrow rx.

My answer was "probably. But let me ask the internets"

cdknapp

Premium Subscriber
You should be okay with your present set up, unless you're having problems (which you shouldn't be as long as your frequencies are 'wide band' (i.e. 155.310 versus 155.3175 [hypothetical]). Most places didn't have to change their (then) current frequencies. That said, a few did, and any new frequencies assigned over the past year or two may well have been 'new' narrow band frequencies.

FCC part 90 states everyone has to be 'narrow band compliant', meaning any/all equipment had to comply to the narrow band rules as of 01/01/2013. But if things are working the right way, the old farmers' adage "if it's not broken don't fix it" should be in order.

I think you should be okay. Good luck!

gesucks

better question is what kind of radios and who programmed them. i don't think i have ever seen a Part 90 radio where you could split narrow/wide by Tx/Rx

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
You should have your portables reprogrammed for full 12.5 KHz operation on both TX and RX. On RX, you will notice the volume control won't be cranked up as well as proper PL/DPL decoder performance.

In short, everything should be 12.5.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
better question is what kind of radios and who programmed them. i don't think i have ever seen a Part 90 radio where you could split narrow/wide by Tx/Rx

Dont know the model off hand, the ones we just put in service are the 16 ch wouxun.
The ones we put in service last year were blackbox bantums. Dont know how they're programmed off hand.

Screenshot of programming software attached.

Attachments

• radio_txrx.jpg
    radio_txrx.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 378
Last edited:

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
You should have your portables reprogrammed for full 12.5 KHz operation on both TX and RX. On RX, you will notice the volume control won't be cranked up as well as proper PL/DPL decoder performance.

In short, everything should be 12.5.

I reprogrammed mine to narrow on everything, Where I am currently assigned, i'm not seeing much difference, but I'm pretty sure when i get back up the central part of the state, it'll make a difference, theres a few channels that i normally have WAY up.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
Our service did the same on some of our equipment (the cops). Now when a unit comes in for repair we check the programming and set it all narrow, we have no intention of recalling over 4000 radios. It's not really necessary unless another user becomes licensed on the splits next to your channels.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
I'm basically going to say i'll reprogram the cache radios and all the ones at base as all narrow for now, and then they can deal with the others as they come in or have problems.

I only have the programming software for the 16 ch radios at my location anyway, so the fleet shop will have to deal with the rest.

SCPD

QRT
Narrow

Just to let the OP know, you don't need to have narrow receive to be compliant, just narrow transmit.
My first read thru your original post kinda gave me the impression that's what you were asking.

And from personal experience, I'm not sure you need to go thru the time and expense to reprogram them,
If you can all hear each other, you should be fine.
Not money I would spend, like I said, you be the judge of the audio level you're getting now, and decide.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
Just to let the OP know, you don't need to have narrow receive to be compliant, just narrow transmit.
My first read thru your original post kinda gave me the impression that's what you were asking.

And from personal experience, I'm not sure you need to go thru the time and expense to reprogram them,
If you can all hear each other, you should be fine.
Not money I would spend, like I said, you be the judge of the audio level you're getting now, and decide.

It was more of a "should we" not "do we have to"

But the second half of your answer is pretty much spot on what i'm going to do.
Not going to expend the effort or expense to do all of them, but if there are volume/recieve issues with individual radios, we can do those as they come in.... and i can do the cache radios that i'm responsible for, since they all have the same programming, no individual ANI id's, and i can probably do them in an hour.

Thanks for all the replies.

mancow

Database Admin
What kind of service is this? I've never actually heard of a fleet of Chinese radios in everyday service.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
a state agency.

We're using them in the interop cache, as well as backup portables with AA battery packs in the units.

The radios are part 90, met our bid requirements, and with our shrinking budget, were cost effective.

Any more stupid questions?

SCPD

QRT
I recently had to do a few of these. I suggest using the software if they are fpp type for interop. It was a pain entering everything by keypad unlike other models.

madrabbitt

Feed Provider
I can imagine that doing anything in bulk with FPP radios is a pain, no matter what.

I hate reprogramming a single channel on my ham portable, especially when I have to change something dumb like a PL tone that i put in wrong in the first place.

But no, these are all 'simple' radios. None of them fancy-pants buttons for us workin' folk. (This is called sarcasm, in case anyone missed it)

Status
Not open for further replies.