• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Has anyone else noticed a fiscally induced resurgence in VHF/440 activity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hatchett

Has anyone else noticed a fiscally induced resurgence in VHF/460 activity?

It’s been about 2 years since I last posted on this forum.
And to some extent, this post is kind of a continuation of what I posted about 3 years ago.

http://forums.radioreference.com/rants/183418-vhf-wasteland.html

The reason I am making this post now, is because of a conversation I heard on a 460 system yesterday, that kind of reinforces my observations. The fact that there was 460 activity in the first place is something to talk about in it’s self.

This post will be a general observation of ongoing changes that I have noticed in my area of Indiana, and I am just wondering if other people in other states have noticed the same thing.

In the last three years, I have noticed some changes in the vhf/460 activity. Doing a ULS search will show that the vhf licensing has made a particular shift in activity.

Here is the numbers…
Indiana 150 to 160mhz licenses granted in one year of time ending in the 16th of June to keep it coherent with the post 3 years ago.

07-08=60
08-09=67
09-10=56
10-11=272!
11-12=643!!!
12-13=617

As of 2010 onward the number of licenses applied for in the state has ballooned. The question is…. Why?

An average of 800 to 900 down to a low average of around 50 a year for several years after cell phones came hit the market in force, then all of a sudden back up to 600 a year the last two years..

Over a period of about 5 years, you could not find any activity at all in large swaths of bandwidth. But over the last couple years, I have started to see a few businesses dropping back to the LMRS. Now granted, it’s not even close to what it once was, but you can actually scan the band and find the occasional activity from a handful of companies.

It didn’t really make sense why they were coming back to LMRS at first. It took me a little while to get the gist of it. The conversation I heard yesterday put a cap on it all, so I decided to make this post.

The reason why they are doing it, is they are feeling financial pressure, and they are trying to implement cost cutting measures. There is some companies ditching the company phone idea. They have done the bean counting and determined that vhf/460 2 way radio is cheaper for the company than the cost of providing everyone with a company phone that needs it for communication when they go around the town. Even though the coverage is not as good, the cost difference is the clincher. They just can’t afford the company phones any longer.

The reason they are going with 150/460 equipment is again financially related. It’s cheaper than leasing time on a fully provisioned 800/900 mhz trunking system. So it’s basically become the poor business communications system.

From what I have heard, they are usually leasing the radio equipment. I don’t know what the lease rates are, and what the repeater time cost from the local companies, but the cost are evidently a lot less than large numbers of cell phones for the workers that travel around the area.

Now granted, the actual number of users in the 150 to 160mhz band isn’t growing by as much as the ULS numbers indicate because several of those licenses is where a communications company is applying for broad swath license including several frequencies with hundreds of radios. They don’t have a use for all of them yet, but they are getting them on hand in case someone comes through the door wanting a full system.

Like on license from a Bloomington communications company. They got 10 frequencies and had a unit list totaling some 6000 possible radios. As of a year after they got that license, they are only really using 1 frequency on that license, with a hand full of radios on that frequency.

But none the less, they got the license because they are seeing an increase in activity, and they want to have the goods to provide if the customer should walk in.

I have also heard what sounds like potential customers checking out coverage and usability to see if they want to get equipment over the last couple years. The normal “radio check”, “how strong is the signal in that area” and “how am I sounding” type stuff from a normally unused frequency..

Now to the conversation I heard that caused this entire post… I was listening to a lady trying to talk to the main office. She was evidently out in the hills and they could not hear her. I heard a string of… “Can you hear me…. Hello…. Hello…..Come on dang it!!!!!” after she evidently got to a top of a hill where they could hear her, she gave them a piece of her mind about that blasted radio. They gave her the lecture that they have to get use to these things because the company has to cut cost somewhere. She told them to just cal her personal cell phone because she is already sick and tired of the (censored) radio.

All in all, I wonder if the resurgence has any possibility of sustaining, or if it is just transient surge in activity that will quickly pass as interest dies back down? Is the rush in license buying just a result of some communications dealers getting overexcited by a bump in customer activity?

The only user in the vhf/460 mhz spectrum that has truly made a sustained comeback in paging. Paging is an industry I thought was dead, but has been roaring back to the point that there is dozens of pager systems across the area. I guess it is because of the same forces that are causing the resurgence in analog vhf/460 activity. And that is cost cutting measures by companies that can’t afford cell phones right now.

I guess time will tell…..

Last edited:

nd5y

The increase in the number of VHF, UHF and 800 MHz licesnse issued in the past few years is most likely because of VHF/UHF narrowbanding and 800 MHz rebanding. I would bet if you go back and check carefully most of them are not "new" licesnses that never existed before, they are probably modifications to existing licenses.

Hatchett

AFAIK they just change the emissions designator on the license. They do not change the grant date of the license.

If they was doing the record keeping in such a way that the modification would shift the grant date, then the license would no longer show up in the pre 2010 totals. So those pre 2010 numbers would have dropped from what they was 3 years ago. But the number of active licenses granted pre 2010 has not changes to any appreciable degree.

If they are making a new duplicate narrowband licensee, then the old wideband license would no longer be active after the grant of the narrowband license, so again, it would no longer show up in the active pre 2010 license figures.

So, the narrow banding does not explain the bump in licenses in the 150 to 160mhz band..

WB4CS

One thing I would really like to point out in your post, Hatchett.

440 MHz is in the Amateur Radio spectrum. Since your post is about LMR, I'd suggest using "UHF" or 450-470. We wouldn't want anyone to get the 70cm Amateur Radio band mixed up with the commercial UHF LMR band :)

That being said, I would have to agree with ND5Y. This is probably due to narrowbanding.

Hatchett

One thing I would really like to point out in your post, Hatchett.

440 MHz is in the Amateur Radio spectrum.

Technicalities technicalities! :)

Your right, my mind wasn’t in full gear this morning.

Hatchett

I did that then decided to bump it again to 460 just to make sure. Now to wait for a mod to change the thread title to match.

nd5y

AFAIK they just change the emissions designator on the license. They do not change the grant date of the license.
Whenever a license is modified the ULS generates a "new" license that reflects the modifications. The grant date is the date that it was processed.

Hatchett

Whenever a license is modified the ULS generates a "new" license that reflects the modifications. The grant date is the date that it was processed.

Not quite correct.
It does not quite work like that.

Here is a representative 150mhz license for Ackerman oil co.
ULS License - Industrial/Business Pool, Conventional License - WPMH580 - ACKERMAN OIL CO INC

It was granted in 08/05/2003.
It became effective 02/11/2011

If you go to the admin tab, you will se it was renewed on 05/20/2003 a few months before it’s grant date. It’s grant date would have been when the old one expired

It had a license modification on 12/23/2010 a few months before it became effective.
The “effective” date it the date that current revision became effective. When that revision becomes “effective” then all previous revisions are nullified. That grant date didn’t change because a new license was not granted. The current license was just modified. The effective date shows when the data that is associated with the current revision of the existing license became effective.

The modification was when it’s emissions identifiers were changed to 11K0F3E (narrowbanded)

So, when I do a search for licences granted from one date to another, it will still correlate with the date the license was originally granted, not when it was modified for narrow banding. So narrowbanding will not mess with the search results/figures.

Administrative updates do not mess with the grant and renewal periods. If they did, you would push your renewal date forward every time you made a license modification.

It works the same way with your ham license. If you change your address, it doesn’t change the grant date, and subsequent renewal date. You are issued a revised license (a revision of the current license, not a new one) that becomes effective as of the time of the update, up until the current license expires. It is not a new license with a new grant date as far as record keeping is concerned, it’s a revised existing license with the same grant date as the original, because it is still the same license.

So, all in all, my observation about a surge of new/renewal licenses in the 150 to 160mhz band is still correct.

D

DaveNF2G

Along similar lines, perhaps, a number of formerly standalone community repeaters in my state have been converted to LTR trunking over the past few years.

Hatchett

Along similar lines, perhaps, a number of formerly standalone community repeaters in my state have been converted to LTR trunking over the past few years.

That is the same trunking method the couple business repeaters on VHF and 460mhz use in this area. I think the main reason they went with any type of trunking system is access/revenue control.

The communications companies that own the repeaters lease the portable units and the users of their radios can “buy repeater time”. So the trunking system can allow the owners to figure out how much each person is using it, and bill them appropriately. If the people leasing the radios do not want to buy repeater time, then they are limited to direct mobile to mobile communications. The repeater will not allow them on the system. And of course they have them grouped into talk groups so they can’t hear the conversations of other companies that are using the same repeater.

From what I can tell from listening to the activity is there is two channels on the radio. One is via the repeater, and one is direct mobile to mobile. Once in a while you will hear them telling each other to go to the repeater, or go direct.

Status
Not open for further replies.